Cant connect to another ATTbi user??

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
f1ipm0dsqd

Cant connect to another ATTbi user??

Post by f1ipm0dsqd »

im having some problems connecting with with my firend's computer using peer-to-peer connection.. ie. AIM, MirC, my FTP server..etc..
we are both on an ATTbi connection..
is there any other way to share files (send/receive) between our computers?

i talked to attbi and they said they do not support p2p connections..wtf?

also my friend has a SB4200 modem.. and he was Uploading at 2MB/s for a couple of days.. now he cant since ATT called him that they got the wrong serial number..now he's down to 256kb/s, same as mine..
Fudgemaker

Post by Fudgemaker »

i think i noticed something similar to your problem at hand. On AIM, i haven't been able to connect to other AT&T users for a while. And i don't think it has anything to do with opening ports.. such as 5199,4099 and what not.. if those are correct, not really sure, but i DO have the correct ones if someone needs thme for AIM, because i opened them and yet i still cannot connect to my fellow peers users AT&T near my area. You can always hop onto a lan with your friend, you get much faster speeds on a lan for sending and recieving files.
-I know where there's a good party. They've got liquor in the front and poker in the rear-
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

There is a known problem with the Cisco operating system that prevents certain users from connecting to other local users. It has also been fixed for a long while.

Start by pinging his IP address - If you cannot ping him, and he you, then talk to your ISP.

Kip
MtCableman

Re: Cant connect to another ATTbi user??

Post by MtCableman »

Originally posted by f1ipm0dsqd

i talked to attbi and they said they do not support p2p connections..wtf?

That means that they can't help you. It doesn't mean that it won't work. For example: They also don't support LINUX, BSD or any other O/S than Windows or MAC, but if you are technically inclined enough, you can get those O/S's to work just fine.
Closed course and Professional user.
Don't try this at Home!