Dual NICS combined for speed

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
gentner8

Dual NICS combined for speed

Post by gentner8 »

I was here a few weeks back and remember reading an article on how to use 2 nics to improve performance. I have formatted since then and no longer have the link saved. Can anyone point me to where it may be located or tell me how to do it. I have 2 nics installed, but windows only wants to use 1 for my modem connection. I really have the fever for speed, now I frustrated that I cant find that article. HELP!!!

Jay :rolleyes:
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

if u mean having 2 cable modems for twice the spped cant b done. if u meant having 2 cable modems or ne modem for performance. that can b done with "load balance" if one this is your comp will always use the line that has the faster service. u can get just do a google for load balancing software and you set. if ya need further assisance. some one wil b by. im not good at the techy part of the matter
gentner8

Post by gentner8 »

Yes, I only want to use one modem. I want to combine two NICS on one computer to share the connection and get rid of any possible bottle neck. Here is my system, tell me what you think I can do.

Tyan 2466 MB
2 Athlon MP 2200+'s
1 GIG pc2100 ECC Reg
Geforce 3 Ti500
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
2 Nic's
1 Linksys wireless router
1 cable modem

Jay
Fudgemaker

Post by Fudgemaker »

wow that's some serious CPU-age.. lol must be blazin speed.. make sure you gots the cooling for it!!!
-I know where there's a good party. They've got liquor in the front and poker in the rear-
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

so u want to use one modem and have it hooked up to 2 nics? it so try this

modem>switch>2 cat5's to the 2 nics>got to the network connections>select the 2 nics and right click them bridge(assuming your using xp)
gentner8

Post by gentner8 »

I have tried to do that. XP keeps giving me the message of selecting two connections not being used by connection sharing. How do I go about this properly and does it work well?

Jay
cyberskye

Post by cyberskye »

I didn't think XP had load balancing built in. Learn something new everyday...

Load balancing two connections from the same isp is really way over-rated. The two ip addresses you get will almost definitely be on the same subnet, fighting the same traffic that your 'primary faces - especially with cable, but true of all "double" connections from the same ISP.

If you really want to see a significant benefit, get a cable and dsl connection (or any two different sources). That way you really will have redundancy and you can be more creative in usage, assuming that you are using hardware or software that allows binding certain apps to certain connections...

I used to have comcast cable and covad sdsl in my home office (one for work, one for play) and really gained an appreciation for the differences. I wish I had the idea of load balancing these two - the 384/384 dsl line was MUCH faster that the cable modem (2400/1200 - legally, before caps were commonplace) at browsing, streaming media, etc, lower pings so things started quicker, plus it didn't go down in 1 1/2 years. zero.

The cable was great for raw downloading. If one went down, I could switch everything over to the other.

Back to your post...I think you need a third party app or piece of hardware to do what you want to do. I could be wrong... http://www.nexland.com makes a router that does this.

Skye
anything is possible - nothing is free

:wth:
Blisster wrote:It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)
:wth:
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Originally posted by cyberskye
I didn't think XP had load balancing built in. Learn something new everyday...

Load balancing two connections from the same isp is really way over-rated. The two ip addresses you get will almost definitely be on the same subnet, fighting the same traffic that your 'primary faces - especially with cable, but true of all "double" connections from the same ISP.

If you really want to see a significant benefit, get a cable and dsl connection (or any two different sources). That way you really will have redundancy and you can be more creative in usage, assuming that you are using hardware or software that allows binding certain apps to certain connections...

I used to have comcast cable and covad sdsl in my home office (one for work, one for play) and really gained an appreciation for the differences. I wish I had the idea of load balancing these two - the 384/384 dsl line was MUCH faster that the cable modem (2400/1200 - legally, before caps were commonplace) at browsing, streaming media, etc, lower pings so things started quicker, plus it didn't go down in 1 1/2 years. zero.

The cable was great for raw downloading. If one went down, I could switch everything over to the other.

Back to your post...I think you need a third party app or piece of hardware to do what you want to do. I could be wrong... http://www.nexland.com makes a router that does this.

Skye

Yup! wish i had the money for dsl and cable. but he is right. it is pointless with one isp.