Upload faster than download?

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
AMDbeginner

Upload faster than download?

Post by AMDbeginner »

I have an adsl 512/128.. my download is 512k..
When i use mirc.. i upload at like 30k.. i don't know why.. (pretty fast right?? for a 128k upload) .. but i download way slow.
Why i'm uploading at 30k.. i usually dl at like 10k.. Wasn't upload supposed to be faster than download??
but when i'm not uploading.. speed is fine.. i dl at like 60k.
So.. is this normal?
Diehard

no

Post by Diehard »

no, its not really normal, my ADSL goes 1222/137, if there are some issues with speed try the tweak test at [url]http://www.dslreports.com,[/url] it has been known to fix a lot
BlastU

Re: Upload faster than download?

Post by BlastU »

Originally posted by AMDbeginner
When i use mirc.. i upload at like 30k.. i don't know why.. (pretty fast right?? for a 128k upload) .. but i download way slow.
Why i'm uploading at 30k.. i usually dl at like 10k.. Wasn't upload supposed to be faster than download??
So.. is this normal?
according to the numbers you have supplied us, upload is faster than download. I don't know why they're effecting each other.
I don't see how you can do this to me

Answer my questions please
Fudgemaker

Post by Fudgemaker »

if you have cap rates of 512/128, you should download at around 60 KB's, and upload at around 16 KB's. Using P2P programs like mIRC, alot of people might be downloading off the same person at the same time... therefore slowing down your end of the download just b/c others are downloading from the same person. But if you are saying that your download is ONLY SLOW when you are uploading, then i dunno what to say. Usually Upload isn't effected by download at all. It may just be coincidental.
-I know where there's a good party. They've got liquor in the front and poker in the rear-
SkiLLtoN

Post by SkiLLtoN »

upload always affects download... on broadband... especially on a 128k upload... for me it affected the download on both dsl and cable...
AMDbeginner

Post by AMDbeginner »

thanks ..
i got the problem fixed.. my RWIN was too high..
cyberskye

Post by cyberskye »

TCP/IP requires acknowledgements. These enter the upload queue. Until the ack is received, the sender does not transmit more data. This is cool because it makes sessions reliable. When your upload is much smaller than your download and you are already uploading files, your download will crawl.

Skye
UnitedWeStand

Re: Upload faster than download?

Post by UnitedWeStand »

Originally posted by AMDbeginner
So.. is this normal?
Hey Dude.. Fill in your profile.. Like OS & Specs.

You know sometimes you need to look at your computer for the answer.. I mean I have a friend that is using a 166Mhz computer with Windows 98, and has 32Mb SimmRam, computer is hooked to cable 1500 down/64 up, one would say its a good connection, but the computer crawls... its shows that her downloads are coming in fast but the computer can't write the file to the hdd fast enough, so in that effect it makes no sense to consider it a good connection when your computer suffers because of it.. I send her files from my computer at work at rates of 80kb/s but she can't even view the file not see if the files works or not until it is written to the HDD.. Her situation might be the opposite of yours but if you are on MiRc and notice a decrease in download speed when you upload its prolly your computer not fast enough .. but if you download from Irc without uploading and you notice an increase in download speed.. well thats because your computer can write to your harddrive, with out having to read it, and send it all at the same time. My recommendation to you is if your using any P2P programs your more than likely competing with a few others for that download.. and also if the other party has a bit cap set for 10kb/s then thats all your going download at that rate.

hope that tells ya whats goin' on.. and FILL IN YOU'RE PROFILE!
get it up, get it in, get it out, and don't mess up my hair!
Originally posted by medusaoblongata
Thanks guys. This board and its members are a great resource.
Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world.