Router to Router connection?

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
temper

Router to Router connection?

Post by temper »

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a T1 line connected to a ADTRAN switch/router which is very difficult and cumbersome to program. So, I had all the ports opened up and I hooked up a linksys router behind it via a crossover cable. I am having problems connecting the linksys router to the internet. Do I set gatewayand etc settings of the linksys router to the LAN IP of the ADTRAN router ? or do I just set the settings of the linksys router to my provider? I am really scratching my head over over this....

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Fudgemaker

Post by Fudgemaker »

don't have a router hooked into another router, what's the purpose of that? I would hook a switch or a hub into the router that just forwards more lan ports to the router. Hooking one or more routers into a router that's hooked to the modem directly could cause you to run into some configuration problems, none that i know of off the top of my head, sorry. But that's what i would do.
-I know where there's a good party. They've got liquor in the front and poker in the rear-
temper

Post by temper »

I am trying to by-pass the adtran router which is just a dumb router with nothing fancy. I want to use a FVS318 for SPI and filtering. I wish i could just turn off the router all together, but it is integrated into multiplexer?(I think that is what it is called).
This adtran box basicly splits the T1 into 10 voice lines and 1 broadband data connection. So I am stuck with putting a router behind a router. I would think this should work some how.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

The Adtran is performing CSU/DSU functions as well as multiplexing the channels.

In your case, we may need a little more info. They should have given you an IP range of addresses. The LAN port on the Adtran should be in that range. You can then either connect to a switch or directly via cross over cable to the Linksys. The Switch would be for any DMZ servers you want. If you directly crossover the linkway, then it's WAN port should be in the same range as the LAN port address of the Adtran, and the Adtran should be your default gateway.

Regards,
-Bouncer-