I'm eating nothing but beans and rice

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Easto
SG Elite

I'm eating nothing but beans and rice

Post by Easto »

At least that's where I feel things are heading. Prices at the grocery store are skyrocketing. 3 months ago I could get skinless/boneless chicken breast for $1.99 a pound. Yesterday they were $4.99. Even the "choice" cut steaks have gone from $6.99 to $11.99 per pound. Some of the produce seems to be holding steady, but not by much. Usually things that were marked down to $0.99 from $1.99 are holding at $1.99. We're starting to watch what we buy and make sure it's something we're definitely using and that it doesn't go to waste. I guess the good thing is that we're cooking and preparing our meals with a lot more thought.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Yes, it's not just food, it's everything. I caught a glimpse on the news of a toy shortage!!!! :eek:

Be sure to stock up on Bean-o or at least baking soda! :D
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The USA spend almost twice the amount of revenue it took from taxes last year... (~6.5 Trillion spent, ~3.5 Trillion collected)... We have over 3 Trillion deficit, and then the Fed says inflation is under control at ~5%, meh.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Yeah, I was looking forward to our grocery bill going down, kid #1 moved out of the house several years ago. Our daughter is in college now, and mostly buys her own groceries...to eat when she's rarely home, cuz she's always out 'n about now. So...I was anticipating lower grocery bills for just my wife and I.

Hah...went from around 275/week a couple of years ago, to about 350/week now...for the 2x of us! Granted, we tend to eat healthy, organic, farm raised, paleo. But still!
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

We're definitely starting to do more Crockpot meals that we can stretch out over a couple of days. There's enough for her to make at least 2 lunches for work and I stretch it out over the same 2 days for me at home. We are seriously watching what we buy and only buying things that we can enjoy over several days. I haven't bought a nice steak in 8 months.

I'm hoping something changes. Whenever I walk by the meat counter it is full, no one is buying anything. Where as before the meat counter would be packed, now if you want something you can walk right up.
Mark

Post by Mark »

let's go Brandon !!
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Checked in 2 large orders today for a total of 87 price changes.

All increases.

We used to buy a sisal door handle cat scratcher for $4 and sell it for $7.99

My cost just went to $12 in one week

Dog and cat food, bird seed, metal dogs crates, terrariums, toys have all skyrocketed by at least 25% over the past year.

Increases have always happened, but I find myself buying things this week for more than I sold them for last week more and more.

Probably just going to get worse. Ocean freight charges are expected to increase by 300% - 400%.

Manufacturers pass it on to distributors, who pass it on to suppliers, then wholesale, then retail.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

mark wrote:let's go brandon !!
lol
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Humboldt wrote: have all skyrocketed by at least 25% over the past year.
I was going to say my household expenses are up about 25% and that's a very scary reality. The wife just got a raise but it was no where near 25%.
Norm
SG VIP

Post by Norm »

yeah, the homeless ARE looking skinnier