Covid-19

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
l1991

Post by l1991 »

Sadly, the numbers are increasing but at least we are better prepared now to take care of the sick people. Covid-19 is really an extraordinary situation no one could ever have imagined. I hope that the vaccine will be developed soon. Then we will hopefully be able to control the virus. Stay safe!
nightowl
SG Elite

Post by nightowl »

been working from home since march. Dont mind it. traffic was bad since Ottawa introduced a unreliable LRT system
Zilog B wrote:Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, I don't mind it either, but I've been doing it for years. Many people seem to be working from home, but then there are many professions/trades that can't do this and social interaction is important in many aspects for, well, society.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Brk
SG VIP

Post by Brk »

I went into the supermarket today and forgot my mask; I felt far more dread about forgetting it than I likely should have, and that freaked me out. Don't like this "new normal" at all.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I can't tell you how many times I've just closed the car door and realized that I don't have a mask. We are now keeping several of the thinner paper kind in a baggie in the glove compartments of both cars. I've had to fall back on those a couple of times.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi Burke!

I keep a few of the paper ones in my car as well, I've had a situation where me, or my daughter forgot one and needed it. Most supermarkets/stores have paper ones near the door for such cases though it seems. I don't like it either, but it is the prudent thing to do, at least until there is a vaccine out I suppose, especially considering the death toll is now over 200,000 in the US.
jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

It was the prudent thing to do long before the death toll passed 200k. We should have been wearing masks from the start, but Americans didn't take it seriously enough. Too many people wanted to pretend that this was just going to magically vanish.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Masks alone help slow the spread, I totally agree they are a prudent first step, but they are not a magic bullet, or a long term solution. Some countries may have had more adequate response than others, but politics are not the solution either.. We still need working vaccines.
jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

There is no such thing as a "magic bullet" when it comes to something like this, but proper application of social distancing would have saved a lot of lives here and the poor leadership coming out of the Whitehouse certainly didn't help with that fact. And I don't see a good reason to pretend otherwise or ignore the role "politics" has played in this.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
FunK

Post by FunK »

TonyT wrote:My 2 cents

While covid is a real virus and a real threat, it has been hyped into something that it is not.
The media reported stats and numbers are skewed and false.

The CDC just released their latest fatality report. For weeks 2/1/20 through 8/22/20 in the US, The CDC reports "For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."

This is 6% of deaths, not 6% of the population. This means that the number of people dead from covid alone in the US is only 10,980.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm

Covid is not actually a threat to people in decent health.

Thus lockdowns are a poor solution. Masks don't really protect anyone nor prevent spread. The solution that should be being promoted is "get healthy and stay healthy".

We'll never see main stream media prompte health because they make their dollars from companies that produce unhealthy products and big pharma (largest $ advertiser).

Nailed it.
Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi Funk :)

I am not convinced. There is always a difference between deaths caused by a virus itself, and virus-related deaths.

The global annual respiratory deaths associated with influenza (the common flu) are an estimated average of 389,000 people, 67% of them are people 65 and older.
The global deaths associated with Covid-19 (for ~9 months so far) are 995,000, or roughly 3 times (300%) more deadly than the common flu.
Both statistics include cases "associated with" the viruses, not only those with that one single condition. Naturally, younger healthy people with fewer medical conditions have lower mortality rate.

It is also apparently very contagious, there was a CDC report back in May about a 122 member choir practice where 87% of people got sick out of one symptomatic person.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I have to side with Philip on this one.

I think using the criteria that the majority of the deaths include underlying conditions and the rest of us have nothing to worry about just doesn't hold up. I guess my knee-jerk reaction to that would be... "If you're really not that worried why not go work in a Covid-19 ward at a local hospital and help out"?
jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

If you decide you don't need to engage in proper social distancing because you believe yourself to "healthy" then you also decided that you are OK with spreading Covid-19 and contributing to the death rate of those you deem as "unhealthy". Even if someone is in a low risk category for Covid-19 that doesn't prevent them from spreading the illness and contributing to the death rate of those in the high-risk category.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

jeremyboycool wrote:If you decide you don't need to engage in proper social distancing because you believe yourself to "healthy" then you also decided that you are OK with spreading Covid-19 and contributing to the death rate of those you deem as "unhealthy". Even if someone is in a low risk category for Covid-19 that doesn't prevent them from spreading the illness and contributing to the death rate of those in the high-risk category.
This may only be a short-term issue, for the couple of weeks they are sick. After that they would eventually develop some type of immunity and not spread it anymore.
FunK

Post by FunK »

Philip wrote:Hi Funk :)

I am not convinced. There is always a difference between deaths caused by a virus itself, and virus-related deaths.

The global annual respiratory deaths associated with influenza (the common flu) are an estimated average of 389,000 people, 67% of them are people 65 and older.
The global deaths associated with Covid-19 (for ~9 months so far) are 995,000, or roughly 3 times (300%) more deadly than the common flu.
Both statistics include cases "associated with" the viruses, not only those with that one single condition. Naturally, younger healthy people with fewer medical conditions have lower mortality rate.

It is also apparently very contagious, there was a CDC report back in May about a 122 member choir practice where 87% of people got sick out of one symptomatic person.
There are different strains as well. Some are more deadly than others. Viruses tend to weaken over time. Deaths for the last few months are negligible compared to the first outbreak. The average age of deaths from covid are higher than the average age of deaths in the US as well. Old people and those with pre-existing conditions should be wearing masks, quarantining and social distancing. They should be kept away from people that are infected. IE, we shouldn't be putting covid into old folk's homes.

Kids, teens, young adults and healthy adults without pre-existing conditions should be getting on with their lives. There is no vaccine, which works toward herd immunity. Since we don't have a safe vaccine and likely won't, possibly ever, healthy folks should be allowed to go about their lives if they so wish. They get it, perhaps are asymptomatic or get a sniffle or a fever, beat it and get on with their lives. Which would be working toward herd immunity.. Naturally... Locking down healthy folks (or people that value their personal freedoms) is asinine.

I'm in Japan. There have been some forms of lockdowns but not much. Most are requests by the government to wear masks, social distance, etc. But life hasn't changed much where I live. Restaurants and bars are open and populated. Public transport is working. Folks go about their lives and the impact has been minimal. No draconian overreaches by the government were needed. The island I live on has the highest percentage of folks over 100 just about anywhere on earth, so really should be getting devastated and we're not.. Some folks have died, some folks have been infected but it's really just not that big of a deal. The CDC has stated that their stats show 6% of US covid deaths are directly related to just covid. Granted the US is pretty fat overall and diabetes is a big issue. But really it comes down to compromised immune systems and there are just so many unhealthy folks eating crap foods and taking way too many medications in the US, making Covid more of an issue. Even with that risk factor, the FUD related to "cases" now is just silliness.

Mark my words. In a few years when everyone looks back on how this was handled, with the lockdowns and closing businesses / work / schools, etc, it will be a textbook example of what not to do in the future. Don't even get me started on the fraud associated with "cases" and the money. It's a scam and it's being exploited to the fullest.
Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

Philip wrote:This may only be a short-term issue, for the couple of weeks they are sick. After that they would eventually develop some type of immunity and not spread it anymore.
Studies have shown that antibodies in the blood may drop off sharply and shortly after the convalesce phase, so it may not be wise to bank on natural immunity. However, the antibody test so far has been unreliable and determining how much of an immunity people have and for how long that immunity will last is murky waters, in my opinion. As far as I am concerned anyone not practicing proper social distancing is showing a severe lack of personal responsibility and a self-centered moral compass.
FunK

Post by FunK »

Easto wrote:I have to side with Philip on this one.

I think using the criteria that the majority of the deaths include underlying conditions and the rest of us have nothing to worry about just doesn't hold up. I guess my knee-jerk reaction to that would be... "If you're really not that worried why not go work in a Covid-19 ward at a local hospital and help out"?
If you were qualified to work in a Covid ward, wouldn't you?

Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

FunK, I agree with some of what you're saying as to the government role being somewhat heavy-handed in all this. However, it has been highly politicized, I think people should be allowed to social distance if they feel threatened, we should allow school kids to learn remotely if they want, not make fun of people wearing masks, allow for remote work, properly protect people in higher risk groups, etc. The least/easiest/cheapest thing to do is wear a mask when in crowded spaces. It is also important to keep the number of new cases to a low level that wouldn't overwhelm hospitals (it happened in many places like Italy, New York City, etc.). Down here in Florida life is mostly back to normal, the only difference is people wearing masks, no rock concerts, and some people working/studying remotely as feasible.

Also, to put the government response a bit into perspective, Japan's death rate from Covid-19 is fewer than 1 person per 100,000, there have been fewer than 1000 deaths. There are theories that the population may have been exposed to some similar virus before, which caused some type of immunity boost. USA's death rate is 38.6 people per 100,000, and we have over 200,000 deaths, that's three times more than the US casualties in the Vietnam war.

Jeremy, while there is still much to be learned about Covid-19, I've read a few studies as well, and many say there are antibodies for "at least 3 months", and the presence of antibodies is not the only/determining factor for immunity. There are also reactive T cells that could remain in your body for 15+ years.
jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

Philip, not even the scientists fully understand how our natural immunity systems stands up to Covid-19 yet. Much of that aspect is still unknown, and the studies done so far have a lot of gaps. But cases are still rolling in and the death count is still growing, so clearly, we are not to the point where we can depend on a natural immunity. However, we do know that social distancing works.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

In normal times it was considered polite to cover your nose and mouth when you sneezed. I'm wondering why there wasn't an anti cover yourself coalition back then? Why so many people are fighting so hard now to be inconsiderate is beyond me.
David
SG Elite

Post by David »

TonyT,

I respect you and your intellect, but I must respond.

We are at the point of ~250K deaths from covid. Indeed many of these people had associated illnesses which left them prone to morbidity, however that has become more typical than you might imagine. "Decent health" becomes a subjective term, in that hypertension, diabetes and hypocholesteremia are manageable but chronic ailments. No, just "getting healthy" is not an option with the majority of people. Also consider that those who do not die, may suffer from lingering permanent damage. I am seeing quite a bit of that in my practice.
The CDC reports have been tainted since the requirement for WH filtration.

AS for masks, You are wrong. If your words carry any weight with others, please stop saying that. AS for lockdowns, again, they helped where the population en masse followed the instruction. By all means, read the experiments and the protocols. THIS is the problem we have in social media America, opinion is more important than fact.
Dentistry is the most dangerous professions during this epidemic. By following PPE protocols, we (my office) have avoided infection. I am also the person who does all of the shopping in the household. Again, by following protocols, I have remained healthy. Mind you, I am a cancer survivor who is on medication, almost 60 years of age.
The danger of the Covid epidemic was known in December of 2019. I have a colleague in the Navy (whose politics are right of center, however I trust him for his objectivity). The US Navy had done testing on the virus and assessed that it was highly contagious. It was known early the level of danger with this virus. Politicizing and Conspiracy Theorizing it, has costed many lives as well as created even more "pre existing conditions, which will cost us dearly in the future.

Our hope is the same as it was with polio, a vaccine. It requires adequate testing, but we are not far from seeing it come into being.

The greatest problem we have, is misinformation and fatigue. Face it. We are ALL tired of this. Even in NJ which has had to deal with the throws of this virus very early, I have witnessed ER's who have let their protocol adherence slip, causing an outbreak and restaurants which are packed as though there was nothing to worry about.

No this is not a "new normal" The Spanish Flu and Polio crippled commerce and socializing for years, but were eventually conquered.

Patience...

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

David is way more smarter than I are is.........
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
David
SG Elite

Post by David »

MadDoctor wrote:David is way more smarter than I are is.........
No, Mark.

However, this lands directly into my wheelhouse. I receive direct information from several health and government agencies regarding the pandemic

Unfortunately, I find myself less patient in dealing with the opinion of others, which runs counter to my normal.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche
leekie

Post by leekie »

Well,the coronavirus actually appeared unexpectedly. It seemed to me that such catastrophes remained in the past centuries. I thought that this could not happen with today's modern medicine. But no, it happened. And I'm really surprised that it’s possible.
I do not know how the world will get out of this problem now, but I know for sure that the consequences will be reminiscent for a very long time. I just really hope that these vaccines will help us and we will finally start forgetting the coronavirus as a nightmare.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

My active/current wife (one of many) and I tested positive for covid last week. The only downside for me is shortness of breath. Wheezing and coughing. I got off easy so my doctor/vet says. I'm old (Vietnam war) so agent orange with covid are screwing my lungs over big times.

My 34th wife/lamb said she finds the gasping for air in the middle of the night sexy. When I wake... I find she has a pillow in her hand over my face. Should I bee concerned?

Hi David! :)
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Sorry to hear about the Covid MD. I have two relatives who have it currently, and a nephew who had it previously.
Try to be careful with the O2 levels, and get some blood work plus an X-Ray, from what I've heard the most common complication (in more seasoned individuals ;) ) is a "silent" pneumonia that's hard to hear with a stetoscope. I've also heard the following otc vitamins/meds help:
Vitamin C, Vitamin D, B-complex, Zinc, Selen, Aspirin

Get better!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Hang in there MadDoc! My wife has been trying to kill me over the years too. She figures the longer she can drag it out the more natural it will look..
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

MadDoctor wrote:My active/current wife (one of many) and I tested positive for covid last week. The only downside for me is shortness of breath. Wheezing and coughing. I got off easy so my doctor/vet says. I'm old (Vietnam war) so agent orange with covid are screwing my lungs over big times.

Best wishes to both of you.
You should've made those sheep wear masks.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Humboldt wrote:You should've made those sheep wear masks.
Now you tell me. ;)
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Easto wrote:My wife has been trying to kill me over the years too. She figures the longer she can drag it out the more natural it will look..
... and she gets the 401K. Darn they be smarter than I are is.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Paper trails, always paper trails (electronic now).

Not to be confused with skid marks.
Paft
SG Elite

Post by Paft »

Covid-19 has definitely turned into a joke at the VA hospital I just started work at. The doctors and nurses by and large resent the mask protocols and the social distancing protocols, a good number of them even going so far as to say, "These do not work; we see just as many if not more cases of people who think they're suddenly immune because of a cloth mask instead of being careful without one."

Me? I don't have a dog in the fight and will follow the orders given by my state and the federal government. It's just telling to hear medical professionals "behind the camera," so to speak, in a place they feel safe to speak freely.
David
SG Elite

Post by David »

Paft.

The protocol is specific to the types of acceptable masks. To say that they do not work runs counter to what would be acceptable to general antiseptic/aseptic protocols. I certainly would not be performing surgery without a mask and shield, nor would my patients accept it.

At the Hunterdon County Medical Hospital (closest facility to me) laxity in following directions created an outbreak among the the staff and a number of patients.

As for the population, we are having issues in NJ with restaurants allowing near capacity crowds as well as gyms. High School students at three of our regional schools had also been ignoring rules, and subsequent outbreaks.

It is unfortunate that the epidemic has become a matter of political opinion rather than science and medicine. Those who choose not to comply or do so lackadasically are worsening the situation.

Hell_Yes

David
SG Elite

Post by David »

I took the Moderna vaccine on the 29th of December. Thankfully, there are no side effects to note.

Hell_Yes

Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

David wrote:I took the Moderna vaccine on the 29th of December. Thankfully, there are no side effects to note.
Lucky, I want one too! :)

Do you get any type of document/proof that you've been vaccinated and date for your second shot?
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'll take one as soon as I can get it. Here in California they're talking about problems in getting the "last mile" logistics figured out. Heck, just keep it where it is, I'll go to it!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I will as well, even though it would likely be a while before they get it to the general public :/
I imagine by "last mile" they mean the logistics of storing it, making appointments, verifying people are eligible and trained personnel to administer it.. Although they could've set all that prior to the vaccine actually sitting i their laps. Oh, also, in my county after giving you a shot of the Moderna vaccine they make you stay for 15 minutes to monitor you to make sure you have no adverse reactions before they let you go.
๑۩۞۩๑
Meggie

Post by Meggie »

This is probably way out of sequence, I see people have been posting about this since back in April. Here’s my 2 cents on it. I’ve had to work pretty much since this kicked off, I don’t work with the general public but work with about a dozen people. As of today about a third of them have gotten and recovered easily from it. I have some family that have allowed this to devastate their life. They watch the news non-stop and live in constant fear about leaving home despite not being in any high risk group. For the most part I think everyone needs to just do what they are comfortable with but when a 3 week flatten the curve has turned into a almost year long lockdown I think people need to really get realistic about the risk. For most healthy young people you have a higher risk of dying in a car crash. If they were posting and reporting about those deaths daily on a counter on the news would people not drive anymore? My opinion on it is risk mitigation. Do what you can to minimize risk and go the heck in living your life.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Meggie, of course it is about risk mitigation. However, to put it into perspective there are about 10 times more deaths from Covid-19 than car crashes in the US (369k Covid related deaths in 10 months, vs. 38k from car crashes annually). Covid-19 deaths in the US are 5 times more than the all military fatalities in the Vietnam war, 3 times more than WWI fatalities. I know of 2 people (relatives of friends) that died from Covid-19. Most people that have complications have some other medical condition, or are elderly, however this doesn't make it less deadly. Also, healthy people can have complications or lasting effects from it, even months after recovery.

This doesn't mean we have to hide away and wear hazmat suits while out of bed, just that we do have to take it seriously, and reduce risk by taking some basic precautions. It's good that they're vaccinating high-risk groups and first responders, hopefully this will help to finally put this behind us and get back to normal.
๑۩۞۩๑
downhill

Post by downhill »

MadDoctor wrote:My active/current wife (one of many) and I tested positive for covid last week. The only downside for me is shortness of breath. Wheezing and coughing. I got off easy so my doctor/vet says. I'm old (Vietnam war) so agent orange with covid are screwing my lungs over big times.

My 34th wife/lamb said she finds the gasping for air in the middle of the night sexy. When I wake... I find she has a pillow in her hand over my face. Should I bee concerned?

Hi David! :)
Whoa!!! Glad to hear you're on the mend! This virus is diabolical in what it can do!
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.