SG is 19 yo

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Philip
SG VIP

SG is 19 yo

Post by Philip »

Today marks 19 years since the SG domain was obtained, and exactly 20 years since I started with all these TCP/IP tweaks and publishing the info. Time Warner was beta-testing their first "Road Runner" cable modem pilot project in the Tampa Bay area in 1998 when it all started.

I remember that public gateway IP being x.x.x.1 and my cable modem being at x.x.x.2 heh. Anyway, cheers to the regulars who are still around, and everyone that remembers the dawn of residential broadband :)
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Norm
SG VIP

Post by Norm »

Happy birthday speedguide.net ! :)

Those were the "good ole days" when tweaking was a necessity.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Happy birthday, Speedguide and all!!
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

God, the Lancity cable modem days.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Oh man! I'm getting old!
What brought me here to meet Philip and Ken? During the very first days of broadband, up here in New England, SNET was juuuuuust rolling out DSL. I was looking to upgrade our biz clients from having multiple dial up modems in various forms....to the higher speeds of DSL. (1.5 megs..woohoo!)

Linksys had just rolled out its first couple of hundred BEFSR41 routers off the assembly line. The early firmware was buggy has heck. Business clients were heavy email users. The earliest versions of firmware on the routers had issues with MTU and other network related settings, and many email clients had problems sending email with files attached. Working with Linksys support over this...their support actually steered me over to Philip and his early patches for Windows, to adjust the MTU, and a tweaked windows system file, if I recall, vtcp386.sys or something similar.

So that got me to come to this site many times back then to download those files to get clients PCs working...eventually Linksys got their firmware better, and by that time I discovered the forums and started hanging out.

Met quite a few members over the years...aside from Philip and Ken quite a few times,
Bouncer, YardofStuf, Noevo, BMED, (there was someone else from the Michigan meet and I apologize for not being able to remember) KoldKillah, Lefty, Meggie, MorbidPete, TinyTim,

...there's got to me at least another name or two I'm forgetting...
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

This thread got me thinking about some of my first posts. I went back and took a look at some of them just to see where my head was at that time. While going through them I found all sorts of funny, but dated posts....
CableDude wrote:I have 3 gigs on my laptop running Vista Home Premium (32-bit). Runs really nice.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:..there's got to me at least another name or two I'm forgetting...
:wth:

I came here because I thought there were going to be refreshments.
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

MadDoctor wrote: :wth:

I came here because I thought there were going to be refreshments.
Oh there were....you just don't remember because we put mickeys in yours...you don't remember that morning you woke up with a sore butt?
Guinness for Strength!!!
TonyT
SG VIP

Post by TonyT »

Happy Bday Speedguide.
I too started with Roadrunner cable.
I remember the win98 days of scanning the WAN for other IPs on my cable block and then connecting to their computers and accessing files directly through IE4.
Next came Black Ice Defender.
Then the Linksys BEFSR41.
No one has any right to force data on you
and command you to believe it or else.
If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

TonyT wrote:Happy Bday Speedguide.
I too started with Roadrunner cable.
I remember the win98 days of scanning the WAN for other IPs on my cable block and then connecting to their computers and accessing files directly through IE4.
Next came Black Ice Defender.
Then the Linksys BEFSR41.
Yeah, I remember that too, turning on File and Print sharing was enough to see other people's PCs on the node, lol.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Road Runner tech installing modem sent me here for tweaks. Beep-Beep!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Yep, found this place looking for tweaks after I got Roadrunner.
USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum
jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

Happy B-Day SG!
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:...you just don't remember because we put mickeys in yours...you don't remember that morning you woke up with a sore butt?
*stomps hoof and shows green teeth*

I saw the photos. No need to rub it in!!
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Randy

Post by Randy »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:Oh there were....you just don't remember because we put mickeys in yours...you don't remember that morning you woke up with a sore butt?

lol Maddoc did Bill Cosby give you a pudding pop?

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box ;).
Randy

Post by Randy »

Well there was isp broadband expo at the local school in 1999 and I had to see what all the fuss was. I got a business card from a fella there who told me speedguide.net could help me as i was having lag issues. I had just purchased my top of the line pentium 266 with 32 mb of ram and a 4gb hard drive for only $2000.00

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box ;).
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Randy wrote:I had just purchased my top of the line pentium 266 with 32 mb of ram and a 4gb hard drive for only $2000.00
Sounds like a beast :) One of those "cartridge" slot processors if I remember correctly, I had an Athlon like that at some point in time around then.
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Good times thinking back to those days.. just finished up a six week class remotely nationwide (WebEx) teaching the new version of CompTIA Security+ and referenced the site here. :-)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Cheers, thanks for the reference :)

Speaking of security, we get quite a bit of traffic for the TCP/UDP ports database, we may have the most extensive one online.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Philip wrote:Cheers, thanks for the reference :)

Speaking of security, we get quite a bit of traffic for the TCP/UDP ports database, we may have the most extensive one online.
YES! S.G. always comes up in Google searches.. I'll have to remember that next time to refer to my students. I'm also teaching the new CompTIA Cyber Security Analyst+ (CySA+) soon.. as I got that certification last year. Really good stuff.. all blue team / security operations center (SOC) related.

Post by Sarahnn »

You were in charge of refreshments, MadDoctor. You don't remember?

Happy Birthday, Speedguide. Another 19 years sounds reasonable. :thumb:
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

I came here for cable modem uncapping lol. here I am
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Sarahnn wrote:You were in charge of refreshments, MadDoctor. You don't remember?
Then it's true! I was drugged!!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

happy birthday [SG]
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Happy Birthday! Let`s have a party!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi Immy! :D
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

How could you YOSC.
I still have nightmares of driving BMEDs Big Ass Van, with a bunch of drunk SGers.
koldchillah

Post by koldchillah »

I needed help setting up my new Netgear RT314 on my first broadband connection and found this place via search engine. I got some really good help in the networking forums and started hanging out on the forums a lot afterwards just soaking up the knowledge that was being shared here. I was early in my IT career, working ridiculous hours deep in the IT trenches that blessed me with diverse exposure to lots of fun toys and applications, etc.. so combining my growing work experience with things I picked up here on the forums along the way, I was eventually able to return the favor and help others here just like those who helped me before.

Then I started posting on the general forum more... got to meet some SGers in person. Somewhere in there the Battlefield 1942 days came and a fairly sizable group of us became a close family of gaming warriors on an almost nightly basis. Those BF/DC nights were some of the most fun nights ever spent at home drinking beer and yelling at my monitor with headphones on until my wife would come beat on (or throw a shoe at) my home-office door at 2am to tell me to STFU and come to bed. :rotfl:
"Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru
downhill

Post by downhill »

Wow 19 years! Doesn't seem that long ago. Amazing! Congrats Philip!
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

BaLa wrote:How could you YOSC.
I still have nightmares of driving BMEDs Big Ass Van, with a bunch of drunk SGers.
Ahh yes....and..there was 1x more, he was a skinny dude.
You still driving OTR?
Guinness for Strength!!!
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

Forgot earlier..
Happy Birthday SG!!
YeOldeStonecat wrote:Ahh yes....and..there was 1x more, he was a skinny dude.
You still driving OTR?
Yep for now, will likely do something local within a year or so.

Wanted to say AAFStriker?
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

BaLa wrote:Forgot earlier..
Wanted to say AAFStriker?
Bingo!
Guinness for Strength!!!
knightmare

Post by knightmare »

This site was THE PLATFORM for internet speed and anything computer related.
I lived here
It was awesome!
Ashdaw

Post by Ashdaw »

And to think I joined 1 year after and am still coming along, happy birthday ME?? :) haha
Main Computer:
GA97X G3
i7 4790K
GTX960
32gb Ram
1TB Samsung 860 SSD
NZXT Case
nightowl
SG Elite

Post by nightowl »

Just started my colllege computer deploma at 19 years old when this site went live.....
Zilog B wrote:Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

We're legal to drink in most countries outside of the US now ;)
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

Happy belated Birthday Speedguide.net ! :)
To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata
RodE

Post by RodE »

Yes, Happy belated Birthday Speedguide. I finally found this thread - long story but I managed to log in under my original profile but it would not let me post. It said I was restricted under my old name reeo. I knew it had been a few years
since my last visit. What I did not realize my join date was 6 or 7th month of 2001. I remember many of you, got rid of dial up and finally those junk floppy's lol
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

RodE wrote:Yes, Happy belated Birthday Speedguide. I finally found this thread - long story but I managed to log in under my original profile but it would not let me post. It said I was restricted under my old name reeo. I knew it had been a few years
since my last visit. What I did not realize my join date was 6 or 7th month of 2001. I remember many of you, got rid of dial up and finally those junk floppy's lol
Welcome back..

Updated the email on your old username, you should be able to reset your password and login.
๑۩۞۩๑
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Philip wrote:Cheers, thanks for the reference :)

No problem Philip.. I just referenced this link: https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cab ... ed-good-78
On a very large firearms forum that I belong to, because cable ISP's came up in conversation... so I posted the link in regards to that article on the site here, in relation to SNR and Dbv levels. It's good to keep track to make sure there are normal levels DS / US. Happy New Year. - Tom