Netflix discussion thread

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Brk
SG VIP

Post by Brk »

I'm not sure of the scope of the Starz deal ending; Starz movies aren't labeled as such on Netflix, and you only find out once you actually play them. Is there a number of/listing of Starz movies currently on Netflix?
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Burke wrote:I'm not sure of the scope of the Starz deal ending; Starz movies aren't labeled as such on Netflix, and you only find out once you actually play them. Is there a number of/listing of Starz movies currently on Netflix?
Yeah there is a listing..its under the Starz Play link... also if you mouse over each movie to look at the info its also labeled as Starz Play so yeah you do see that before you play them. According to the link it shows 39pages of movies from Starz - I'm dropping streaming services as of this week cause of it, not waiting till they are gone in Feb. There just isn't enough content to keep me on it and when I say that I mean its border line dumb they carry parts 1 of a 3 part movie for example yet you have to get the disks for the other 2 parts, pure stupid!
Brk
SG VIP

Post by Brk »

Oh, I never log in the website, just access Netflix through my Apple TV.
Sava700 wrote:Yeah there is a listing..its under the Starz Play link... also if you mouse over each movie to look at the info its also labeled as Starz Play so yeah you do see that before you play them. According to the link it shows 39pages of movies from Starz - I'm dropping streaming services as of this week cause of it, not waiting till they are gone in Feb. There just isn't enough content to keep me on it and when I say that I mean its border line dumb they carry parts 1 of a 3 part movie for example yet you have to get the disks for the other 2 parts, pure stupid!
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Burke wrote:Oh, I never log in the website, just access Netflix through my Apple TV.
aww ok.. I still think if you overlay the movies before selection it says starzplay or not, I think it does this for when I surf thru them on my Wii it even lists a row for Starzplay movies.
RaisinCain

Post by RaisinCain »

Membership canceled.
Dan

Post by Dan »

where are you going to get 5 or 6 brd's delivered to your door a month for $10 ?
and forget about the scratched crap form red box,
like I said,anyone who knows what they're talking about knows "streaming" can't touch br in video & sound quality.
streaming might be easy and convenient ,but I would rather wait for the brd in the mail !
I have a high quality ht and I did'nt spend this much money to watch streaming movies at 480 or 720 & hear it in 2 ch !
so 10$ a month sounds pretty good to me for br ! I remember Blockbuster had dvd's for $5 a movie and nobody complained about that !
times that by 5 movies a month ,well you do the math,
I have no complaints about NF
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

RaisinCain wrote:Membership canceled.

Yep looks like I will be doing the same
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Wow.. the company is going down hill fast!! Now they are splitting the streaming and disks into two separate sites - splitting EVERYTHING up between the two so nothing is tied in not even ratings!

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explana ... tions.html
It’s hard for me to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary and best: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”.
Some members will likely feel that we shouldn’t split the businesses, and that we shouldn’t rename our DVD by mail service. Our view is with this split of the businesses, we will be better at streaming, and we will be better at DVD by mail. It is possible we are moving too fast – it is hard to say. But going forward, Qwikster will continue to run the best DVD by mail service ever, throughout the United States. Netflix will offer the best streaming service for TV shows and movies, hopefully on a global basis.

I can just see the stock price dropping now....
fastchevy
SG Elite

Post by fastchevy »

Sava700 wrote:Wow.. the company is going down hill fast!! Now they are splitting the streaming and disks into two separate sites - splitting EVERYTHING up between the two so nothing is tied in not even ratings!

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explana ... tions.html

I can just see the stock price dropping now....

I got that email today too...this will be interesting to watch.....
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

fastchevy wrote:I got that email today too...this will be interesting to watch.....
I don't really understand this move but you know its been in the works for a while, they are just now telling everyone till now.

The domain was created on..............: 2010-05-26. This right here tells me they've had it planned and could have told everyone at the same time they changed the pricing but knew the fallout from both would be horrible.
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Roody, that kid could have some serious fun with that account. The least they could do is offer movies for a year to get the account . I know you can't sell it.
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

His last post was in August. I wonder if he even knows yet. :p
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Lefty wrote:Roody, that kid could have some serious fun with that account. The least they could do is offer movies for a year to get the account . I know you can't sell it.
Hell no... I'd sell them the account for 2.3 Million NO LESS!! It be worth that (yeah I just thought of a good number) but really lets think a second what it could do for the company! Dish Network just recently had Sat 129 go fubar for nearly 24hours and they went straight to twitter to get the word out that they were working on the issue. Yeah I'd make them pony up a bit more than just 1 year sub to their now stock dropping service.
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

Sava700 wrote:Hell no... I'd sell them the account for 2.3 Million NO LESS!! It be worth that (yeah I just thought of a good number) but really lets think a second what it could do for the company! Dish Network just recently had Sat 129 go fubar for nearly 24hours and they went straight to twitter to get the word out that they were working on the issue. Yeah I'd make them pony up a bit more than just 1 year sub to their now stock dropping service.
You can't sell Twitter accounts.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

you can’t sell Twitter accounts according to Twitter’s policy (at least in the form of squatting). But there is nothing in there about buying the people that run them...so I'd sell my Twitter services for a few days at 2.3 Million $$ then just GIVE them the account. Sounds fair to me.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Netflix-Qwikster deal already getting slammed
Netflix's announcement on Sunday night that it would be separating its DVD mail-order business into its own company, Qwickster, has already generated a lot of criticism from Netflix customers. Company CEO Reed Hastings' blog post has generated a ton of comments, many of them negative. One of them comes from Jonathan Ortega who wrote, "Reed, thanks for reminding me that I should go somewhere else for my dvd (sic) rentals. it was an insult enough that you raised the price on me last month, right in the middle of the biggest recession since the Great Depression. but now instead of a sincere apology, all we get is excuses and a flimsy new name."

Another commentor, David Cowing, wrote, "This is a joke right? Qwikster? I kept both my Streaming and DVD services, against my better judgment, because of the convenience they offered as a combined service. DVD alone is not cost effective compared to Redbox and Streaming offered poor selection, but together even AFTER doubling the price, it still presented value. Now that I will have to manage two separate websites, with two separate catalogs and two separate cues, Netflix/Qwikster has lost all value to me."
http://www.neowin.net/news/netflix-qwik ... ng-slammed
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

To me renaming the DVD portion of the business is the first step to eliminate it. Here is my logic. Rename it, then you can show how much you are not making, or how little you are making from that division. A few quarterly messages from the CEO, explaining that streaming is making good money, and the DVD section is barely staying alive. After a year, it is either put up for sale, or eliminated. The CEO has communicated with the users, being more forthcoming than before and in their eyes people understand and little to no backlash.
Dan

Post by Dan »

blockbuster has a similar unlimited "one at a time" BRD deal for $10,plus the discs can be returned to a local store if needed. I may migrate over to BB,as much as I liked NF ,all this is too much crap from NF to put up with.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Dan wrote:blockbuster has a similar unlimited "one at a time" BRD deal for $10,plus the discs can be returned to a local store if needed. I may migrate over to BB,as much as I liked NF ,all this is too much crap from NF to put up with.
Just keep in mind who now runs Blockbuster... Alternatives for streaming are there but its sad to say the disks are not. My biggest complain with the disks side of Netflix is that you often times and here lately 95% of the time you wait for a disk 25 days after release everywhere else to even get it available in your Q. Then you have to fight hell with everyone else so it goes on VERY LONG WAIT for weeks after that unless you get lucky which here lately you have a better chance at getting struck by lightning.

Priest has been on VERY LONG WAIT for weeks... I don't think I'll ever get this disk!
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Smartest move they've done yet....now they need to work on more content and lower prices rather than these stupid idea's and they are all set!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/technol ... ?hpt=hp_t2
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Netflix Inc. announced Monday that it was reversing a plan announced only weeks ago to split its DVD-by-mail and streaming video services.

CEO Reed Hastings announced on Sept. 18 that the company's movies-by-mail service would be rebranded as Qwikster and would add video games to its catalog, while the Netflix brand would be dedicated to streaming video.

Now Netflix (NFLX) is abandoning that plan.

"Instead, U.S. members will continue to use one website, one account and one password for their movie and TV watching enjoyment under the Netflix brand," the company said in a statement.

"Consumers value the simplicity Netflix has always offered and we respect that," Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings said. "There is a difference between moving quickly -- which Netflix has done very well for years -- and moving too fast, which is what we did in this case." To top of page
Dan

Post by Dan »

that's good news,I hope NF learned a lesson from this fiasco.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

They picked up a bunch of AMC owned content including Walking Dead and Mad Men.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

YARDofSTUF wrote:They picked up a bunch of AMC owned content including Walking Dead and Mad Men.
That's a drop in the bucket compared to the Starz play content they are looking to lose. At least those you don't get subjected to AMC's horrible commercial breaks they take.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Sava700 wrote:That's a drop in the bucket compared to the Starz play content they are looking to lose. At least those you don't get subjected to AMC's horrible commercial breaks they take.
Its also something they will have and other places won't, for now at least. And they won't pick up one deal to make up for the loss of the starz stuff, but rather lots of stuff like this, and the Paramount, Sony, Universal, Lionsgate, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS content they have recently added.
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

Sava700 wrote:Smartest move they've done yet....now they need to work on more content and lower prices rather than these stupid idea's and they are all set!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/technol ... ?hpt=hp_t2
They were smart to do that.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Angry Netflix mobs aren't putting away the pitchforks yet.

The company said Monday that it would kill its spinoff, Qwikster, only a month after it was announced.

That did little to placate consumers who are still fuming about price increases the company announced in July and who are starting to see Netflix as a once-innovative service that's lost its way.

"Netflix does more flip-flopping than a fish on a hot dock," a Twitter user named Steve Harrison wrote.

"Netflix's approval rating is so low right now it could run for president," another said.

"I don't think this fixes anything," said Ann Marie Blodgett, a 37-year-old in Utah. "This will make people realize how right they were to leave them. Now they're just back-pedaling."

"I don't feel the need to go back when they've already made too many changes too fast," said Adam Britten, a 21-year-old in London.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/10/tech/web/ ... ?hpt=hp_t2
Meggie

Post by Meggie »

if i was an investor in netflix i would be heading all of the red flags that say that they are an irresponsible, indecisive company. In the course of just a few months they doubled prices, split into 2 different entities, then merged back into one. makes me as a consumer a little wary wondering what they are going to pull next. Not sure whose running the company but it sounds like he is in need of a replacement.
brembo wrote:"This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

At least netflix in the states have all the good shows. I have netflix in canada... all I watch is a couple of movies and lots of pbs documentaries!
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

They keep on getting bad news lol they should have saw this coming with screwing customers over like they have.
For Netflix, the hits keep on coming -- the bad kind.

The latest thwack: Netflix lost 800,000 U.S. subscribers in the quarter that just ended, which was littered with PR nightmares including a price hike and the Qwikster debacle. It was the first time in years that Netflix's U.S. customer base shrank instead of grew.

Netflix spoke bluntly about the recent problems in its third-quarter earnings letter, released late Monday.

"The last few months...have been difficult for shareholders, employees, and most unfortunately, many members of Netflix," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings wrote in a letter to shareholders. "We've hurt our hard-earned reputation, and stalled our domestic growth."
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/24/technol ... ?hpt=hp_t2
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Thats pretty much expected, and its just a reaction to the past actions. They have inked a lot of deals since then, and if they keep that up, their customer base will grow back again.
Dan

Post by Dan »

hell,they still have roughly 24 million subscribers ,they'll be ok.
http://www.latimes.com/news/mobile-la-c ... t=My+Yahoo
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

YARDofSTUF wrote:Thats pretty much expected, and its just a reaction to the past actions. They have inked a lot of deals since then, and if they keep that up, their customer base will grow back again.
Yeah they will rebound.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Getting even more funny.... I've dropped streaming and went down to 1 disk at a time. They may have signed more deals but from the ones I've read about it wouldn't be worth it even if streaming was only another 3$/month let alone what they are asking now. The few shows and whatever are junk IMO as losing starz play really killed it for me.
The Netflix nightmare continues. Shares plunged 36% in early trading Tuesday after the video service revealed it lost 800,000 subscribers in its difficult third quarter.
By the end of the ongoing quarter, which wraps up Dec. 31, Netflix said it expects to lose even more subscribers. It forecast that it will have 20 million to 21.5 million streaming customers and up to 11.3 million DVD subscribers in the U.S.

Perhaps even more concerning: Netflix's streaming video service expansion into the United Kingdom and Ireland, announced earlier on Monday, will make the company's overall business unprofitable "for a few quarters" starting at the beginning of 2012.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/25/technol ... &hpt=hp_t2
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

I dropped them as a whole over the weekend. For me though it had more to do with not watching enough movies to warrant the rise in prices. If a point comes where I feel I can I may go back.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Good read and a good graph of how the stocks went up til the price hike and BOOM bottom dropped!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/28/technol ... ?hpt=hp_t2