GPU AGP Graphics Card

SG Distributed Computing Teams discussion, S.E.T.I., Folding@Home, as well as other types of cloud/distributed computing, AI, machine learning, cryptocurrency mining.
rickoic

GPU AGP Graphics Card

Post by rickoic »

I just upgraded to a ATI 3850 graphics card.

After installing it I downloaded the SysTray version and began it running.

Had to stop version 2 of normal folding client as it defaults to cpu 2. Guess I could change my other version to 3 and see what happens.

Anyway it downloaded a p4743 worth 548 points, and it says it will finish it in just under 7 hours.

Thats 78.24~ per hour in points or 1,878.86~ per day.

I can stand that increase, as the second client I was running was only getting around 80 ppd.

So, just may have to upgrade the rest of my graphics cards, one at a time of course.

The graphics card was $129.99 + 8.95 shipping from newegg.com

Well worth the price.

Rick
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

That card I posted a link to on newegg will get like 5000 ppd. And it is less money.
Joe
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

Yep, but I need AGP and it was PCI-E.

Tks though
Rick
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

joecool

I just ordered one of the cards you pointed to, as I found a mb I wasn't using that could use pci-e cards.

Will be running a Pentium D 2.66 GHz cpu with it.

Any suggestions on how to set it up?

Would be appreciated.

Tks
Rick
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

I have noticed that just moving my mouse around that the folding speed decreases dramatically. It will settle back to folding at 400~ after a few seconds.

And I broke down and went to Newegg and did this.

Ordered a motherboard with 3 PCI-E slots.
Ordered 2 of the video cards you have listed as on sale.
(may order a 3rd after I get the 2 set up and running stable)
(I have a Belkin Omni F1D104 which will supply dummy loads for up to 4 cards)
Ordered 2MB of DDR2 666MHz 2X1MB
And I had to have a power supply also big enough to handle them, a 530W.

$45.99 JetWay J775GT2-LOG LGA 775 Motherboard
$28.99 Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2
$89.99 First EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
$89.99 Second EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
$49.98 Power Supply

As I already have the cpu the cost is:
$304.94

CPU 2.66 GHz would cost another $170.00~

$474.94 for a 10,000 point boost????

Tks
Rick
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Nice, do you know what OS your are going to run? Oh, and I missed the AGP part, sorry.
Joe
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Oh, I also so this card on newegg. <LINKY>

20,600 ppd anyone? You can run two clients and each one produces about 10,300 PPD according to the f@h forum.

Add a second for quad SLI and you got 1 40k per day box.
Joe
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

I'll be running XP, although I do have a version of Linux I could use, but feel more comfortable with XP.

That last card looks like a honey.

Tks
Rick
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Just do some reading in the forums the nvidia gpu client uses 100% of one cpu core in windows vista. You have to use a special command to make a second gpu client use a different cpu core if running two gpu clients. If you don't find the information you need in the f@h forum let me know and I will dig it up, or help you if I can.
Joe
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

Thanks, I went to the faq and believe I found what I'm looking for, at least enough to give it a try. :rolleyes: :eek:

Tks
Rick
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

Ok. Got two cards running on each of two motherboards I purchased. Though the motherboards have 3 PCI-e slots, the cards are so wide that only the two outside slots are usable.

Got the first set up and running around noon Friday, and the second set not until around 6 Friday. So got a points boost Friday, but should see a BIG points boost Saturday. Each of the 4 cards shows 4,600-4,800 points per day which means I should see a jump of 19,400 points up from my usual 6,500 points per day to around 26,000 per day.

Fold on

Rick
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

That is gonna make it a lot harder for me to catch you :(
Joe
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

I've already noticed that cpu speed doesn't seem to have an effect on gpu folding. Point avg per day is almost identicle for a 2.66Ghz and a 2.8Ghz cpu. Both show 4275.46 PPD on a 5506 worth 480 points.

Right now I'm showing with the wu's I've got scheduled I show a PPD of 20,356.01.

And I have a laptop and another pc folding that aren't counted as well as 4 ps3's.

So I think I should settle down at around 24,900 or so ppd as it stands right now.

Fold on

Rick
(Something worth doing doesn't come easy)