Multimple Instances of Folding with Windows

SG Distributed Computing Teams discussion, S.E.T.I., Folding@Home, as well as other types of cloud/distributed computing, AI, machine learning, cryptocurrency mining.
-Knine-

Multimple Instances of Folding with Windows

Post by -Knine- »

here is how to run multiple instances of Folding@home. I am currently running 2 at once. first thing you need is Perl for windows.
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/download.html
Get the ActivePerl-5.6.0.623-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread.msi windows installer file. After it downloads install to a dir of your choice default usually works, C:\Perl, then you will have to reboot.
when windows comes back up go to the C:\perl\bin directory and double click ppm.bat, this will open up the package installer, you want to type "install TK" (its case sensitive) it will then download and install the TK package for perl. When its done you will need to reboot once more.
Now go here and download Neptune.
http://www.teameggroll.com/dev/neptune/neptune.zip
unzip it into your folding folder C:\program files\foldingathome V0.91\
double click the exe and answer its questions. It will first ask for your name, do not include the (Speedguide.net Team) in this part. It will then ask if your a member of a team. Answer yes and it will then ask for the team name. This is where you enter (Speedguide.net Team)
and then ask how many instances of Folding you wish to run. It is limited to 50. it will then ask to begin and ask if you want to be prompted for Folding to connect and download jobs if your behind a firewall etc... when you finish with the questions your set. You will have to copy clint.cfg from the main foldingathome v09.1 folder to the new folders Neptune made, the incorect clinent.cfg file is copied and you won't get credit for units you compleat.

------------------
It's Because Light Travels Faster Then Sound That Some People Appear Bright Until They Speak

[This message has been edited by -Knine- (edited 01-30-2001).]

-Knine-

Post by -Knine- »

BTW i give credit to charlie for turning me on to this and causeing me to spend all night hunting down links and installing it. THANKS DUDE Image

jdblitz

Post by jdblitz »

are you processing them any faster now? or is each one taking 50% of your processor power?
-Knine-

Post by -Knine- »

i have a piii@600 and i can't tell a diff with 2 running then 1 but i also shut off seti and not running it at the same time now

------------------
It's Because Light Travels Faster Then Sound That Some People Appear Bright Until They Speak
striderf1

Post by striderf1 »

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdblitz:
are you processing them any faster now? or is each one taking 50% of your processor power?</font>
i've tried it, there is no speed increase, every extra one reduces the speed of the 1st one by 50%
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

[quote]
Originally posted by -Knine-:

BTW i give credit to charlie for turning me on to this and causeing me to spend all night hunting down links and installing it. THANKS DUDE Image

THANK YOU

You just made my day....
Sorry about the all nighter......but you must know how it is surfing late you forget to bookmark or you think you did.....i'll get back to it tomorrow thinking....glad it worked out..Thanks Dude....

Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 01-30-2001).]
kadar

Post by kadar »

-Knine-, You have 2 different programs combined. Here is the correct methods.

Neptune

Download Neptune at
http://www.teameggroll.com/dev/neptune/neptune.zip
unzip it into your folding folder C:\program files\foldingathome*
Make a copy of the fah.exe and rename it to foldingathome.exe
double click the Neptune.exe and answer its questions. It will first ask for your name, do not include the (Speedguide.net Team) in this part. It will then ask if your a member of a team. Answer y and it will then ask for the team name. This is where you enter Speedguide.net Team without the braces().
then it asks how many instances of Folding you wish to run. It is limited to 50. it will then ask if you want to be prompted for Folding to connect and download jobsif your behind a firewall and ask to begin. when you finish with the questions your set.

Foldmonitor (I haven't tried this yet)
http://users.neosmart.com/hruzaden/folding/download.html

FoldMonitor in Windows
http://users.neosmart.com/hruzaden/folding/downloads/foldmonitor-2.0.6.zip
Installing Activestate Perl
Open the following in a new window
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/download.html
See note for Windows Users on page about Windows Installer.
Download the Windows Installer if needed and install.
Then download:
Windows MSI:
ActivePerl-5.6.0.623-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread.msi
Once the download is complete click on the .msi to run the installer.
The default settings are fine for the install.
You'll have to reboot ( it added to your PATH statement in autoexec.bat)
Installing PerlTk
Once your back up and in windows go the the directory where it installed perl.
It's probally c:\Perl
Go to the c:\perl\bin directory and look for 'ppm.bat'
ppm is an interactive shell for installing packages
Start ppm.bat and at it's prompt type 'install Tk' to have it download and install PerlTk (Tk is case sensitive).
You'll see it download and install the Perl Tk files
Perl and PerlTk installed!
Installing FoldMonitor
This script monitors folding@home clients that are already running. It is coded to scale to any number of clients and will automatically adjust the display to show each one's current progress.
The script is based on client directories located in a base directory. For our first example I'll show a single setup with 1 folding@home client:
NOTE: During the Activestate perl install, it should have set the "file type" for .pl files to use perl.exei. This allows you to double-click on .pl files to execute them.
Note: most perl scripts should have the .pl extension.
The manual way to run a perl script in a command window (DOS box) is to do the following:
perl foldmonitor.pl
Now continue on to Simple install...next.
Simple install
1) Have perl and Perl Tk installed in windows (did you reboot?)
2) Create a new folder anywhere you like and unzip the foldmonitor package in there.
3) double-click on the foldmonitor.pl
4) Choose your folding@home executable file
( probally in c:\program files\foldingathome V0.91 )
5) READ THE STUFF IT TELLS YOU..especially the exit and restart!
6) restart it
Your done..if it doesn't work read "How it works" and edit your config file

(I haven't tried this program, but noticed this thread wasn't right)
-Knine-

Post by -Knine- »

I'm useing folding@home 1.2 the executible is already named foldingathome.exe. I am also useing folding monitor it is lots better looking then the DOS screen.

------------------