Wondering About Upgrading Modem/Router

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
Lurch
Advanced Member

Wondering About Upgrading Modem/Router

Post by Lurch »

Hi,

Would there be any point in me upgrading to a modem/router / all in one? I run an older Cisco DPC 3010 cable modem with Docsis 3.0 and a Cisco E1000 wired / WiFi router. I wire my broadband from modem to router. I have VoIP telephone coming out of the router. I now run WiFi TV from the router.

Would it be a good idea to get a newer all in one modem / router? I think I could get one for $50 to $80, and sell my older units that still work OK.

I think I should stay wired for broadband ehternet connection.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The only reason to update would be if you want (or need) faster/newer cable modem and/or router. There is always some slight benefit of upgrading to newer ones, i.e. they have faster CPU, more RAM, they may support more bonded channels for the cable modem, better QoS for the router side, etc. Still, if you are experiencing no issues you probably won't see much difference, but you will have to setup the new hardware.

I personally prefer separate Wi-Fi router usually.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Thanks Philip.
Ashdaw

Post by Ashdaw »

I agree, I recently changed my router due to constant packet loss of up to 100% on Wired, the wireless still works fine.
Had a R7000 Netgear and am using THAT as an AP and got a new R8000 router, the new one is much snappier and has
a more advanced menu. I only wish I could add a NEW modem but we are restricted to just ONE in Australia, and it is a crappy CHEAP one.
Main Computer:
GA97X G3
i7 4790K
GTX960
32gb Ram
1TB Samsung 860 SSD
NZXT Case
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

My broadband went out last night while I was watching WiFi TV. The picture just froze. So I went to bed.
This morning I recycled my modem and router and the internet is back on. I'm getting 93.55 Mbps.

The WiFi TV is fantastic. It's such a good deal and so much better than ethernet or antenna TV.

My modem is quite warm. Is that normal?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It is normal for the modem and router to get warm, just as other electronics. Some brands/models more than others, depending on their particular design. Plastic cases with fewer vents usually get much warmer, but I wouldn't worry unless it gets hot to the touch.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

My modem is definitely warm to the touch but not hot. It went offline tonight and about 2 nights ago but if this is normal, it's not a real big deal.
It takes a minute to recycle them and then I'm online again. It's Charter's modem and he told me it's working right so evidently they're fine with it.

Thanks again Philip.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Since Charter is one of the few big ISPs that include the modem in their montly price, you wouldn't get any monthly discount by purchasing your own modem. If their modem keeps disconnecting and requiring a reboot, however, you can complain to them and request a new one eventually.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑