Replaceing router

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
uksparky

Replaceing router

Post by uksparky »

Hi all...i have frontier internet that is slow to say the least, i live in a area that has to many folks then the internet speeds down to snail pace, i have a Dell inpiron desktop, frontier speed test i get download speed 1.0 Mbps upload 0.4 if i get a Netgear AC1750 router, along with the frontier router it will speed up things, is this true or am i wasting $100
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I wouldn't just throw money at new equipment before figuring out the issue.

When you connect with a Cat5 cable to the Frontier router (to rule out wireless issues), is the speed better? If not, then a second router will not fix anything. Also, managing two routers is a bit more complex.
uksparky

Post by uksparky »

Thanks for the reply, I am using ethernet cable from frontier its yellow color and has the words... patch cord ...writing on it..i don't have a Cat 5 .... I can use my laptop in another room, plus i pad. with no problem....just the desktop, is slow......i will get a Cat5e

Update...i found a cat5 cable at home, still the same...slow internet speed, could be internal problem Dell
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The ethernet patch cord is the same as a Cat5 cable. Cat5e just allows for gigabit speeds, but you are nowhere near the capacity of Cat5 (100Mbits/s).

If only one of your client computers (wired, Dell) is the issue, then you should try to look into its' TCP/IP settings. What Operating system is that client computer running?

1) Download the TCP Optimizer from our main site: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
2) Start the Optimizer, and reset Winsock and TCP/IP: click on the "File" menu, choose "Reset TCP/IP", then "Reset Winsock", reboot the computer.
3) Start the Optimizer again, pick your advertised internet speed, and apply the "Optimal" settings.

Does that help?

If not, I'd run Malwarebytes and ADWcleaner. Is there some software running in the background taking up a lot of resources? (third-party antivirus software, etc.)
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
uksparky

Post by uksparky »

I have malwarbytes will check the download
uksparky

Post by uksparky »

Philip wrote:The ethernet patch cord is the same as a Cat5 cable. Cat5e just allows for gigabit speeds, but you are nowhere near the capacity of Cat5 (100Mbits/s).

If only one of your client computers (wired, Dell) is the issue, then you should try to look into its' TCP/IP settings. What Operating system is that client computer running?

1) Download the TCP Optimizer from our main site: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
2) Start the Optimizer, and reset Winsock and TCP/IP: click on the "File" menu, choose "Reset TCP/IP", then "Reset Winsock", reboot the computer.
3) Start the Optimizer again, pick your advertised internet speed, and apply the "Optimal" settings.

Does that help?

If not, I'd run Malwarebytes and ADWcleaner. Is there some software running in the background taking up a lot of resources? (third-party antivirus software, etc.)
Thanks Philip that seems to have worked much faster now and i can hear the Dell working now
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Great to hear, thanks for following up :)