Intel's chip crashing problem

Anything related to hardware (CPU/MoBo/Video/FSB/BIOS, etc.), hardware settings, overclocking, cooling, cool cases, case mods, hardware mods, post pics of your unique creations here.
Easto
SG Elite

Intel's chip crashing problem

Post by Easto »

I haven't really been following this issue since my preferences lean towards AMD. Have any of you been having problems with you Intel based systems? It looks like Intel just extended the warranty on these chips by 2 years.
Philip
SG VIP

Re: Intel's chip crashing problem

Post by Philip »

It is my understanding that most of the issues stem from overvoltage, and it is only with the 13/14th Generation processors.
Most motherboards allow some "automatic" overclocking by default, and the overvoltage was too aggressive damaging the chips. They're addressing it with newer MoBo BIOSes.
If you choose not to do any auto-overclocking in the BIOS that pretty much solves the problem.

They also admitted recently another issue with some early 13th gen processors, they may be prone to some internal CPU oxidation (in copper that transfers electricity between layers), that may in turn cause some instability. This only applies to early 13th gen processors, apparently.