HELP Yahoo Mail, Chrome & PDF Attachments

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

HELP Yahoo Mail, Chrome & PDF Attachments

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Need help urgently. I have done several searches and tried several things, all to no avail.

User is using Yahoo Mail inside Chrome. She gets a PDF Attachment and clicks PREVIEW. It opens to the right of the email. If she tries the PRINT ICON at the top of the pane that has the PDF, the only option is to SAVE the PDF, it won't just print it. If she uses the Main Print option in CHROME, it tries to print the entire web page, including the list of email folders on the left, as well as the email she has open, and the PDF Attachment. This does not work, as it is all too small. If we could get Yahoo Mail to open the PDF in a New Tab, then she could use the main PRINT in CHROME, since the only thing in the tab would be the PDF Attachment. We are trying to be able to print the PDF Attachment, w/o user (or Chrome) having to save it to the computer first. THANKS!
Philip
SG VIP

Re: HELP Yahoo Mail, Chrome & PDF Attachments

Post by Philip »

Not sure about Yahoo mail, but in general, if you click on a PDF attachment you should be able to see/open the PDF in Chrome. Once the PDF is opened in Chrome, the upper-right corner contains both download and print buttons as a top bar inside the "page", together with zoom/rotate options.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

So in Yahoo mail, inside Chrome it works as follows. And I tried this on the person's computer I was helping, as well as my wife's (who also has Yahoo Email and uses Chrome). When you click the Attachment in the email (it says "preview' as you go to click), it opens that PDF in a pane to the right of the email pane (shrinks the email pane horizontally to fit). At the top of the PDF pane, it has a printer icon (one would assume to print just that pane). But when you press it, it opens a window to SAVE the PDF file (no option to actually just print it). So this person would like to just print it and be done with it vs. cluttering up their PC with random PDF's. I looked in the Yahoo Mail settings to see if there was something like "open attachments in new tab", but did not find anything. I also uninstalled Adobe Reader and the PDF Add-in for Chrome, but the behavior was the same. Then I reinstalled Reader and PDF Add-in, still the same behavior.

So if you have any idea or can find something out, it would be appreciated.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Seems like Yahoo mail issue. The choice to "save" vs. "print" is usually server-side.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I understand not wanting a bunch of PDFs all over the place. What I've done is create a desktop folder named "Temporary". I have a scanner and didn't want all my scans to be distributed all over my computer, plus I wanted them all in 1 place so I could review them before deciding which one to save and/or use. After doing this my scanner software automatically defaults to this folder as the SAVE location. Maybe you can train Yahoo mail to do the same. I know it's not a solution but it does keep everything in one place for review or deletion.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

easto, we kinda did that as a fall back. Made a folder on the desktop called Email Attachments and I showed her how to save them there, then print them. Periodically, she can go clean that up.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Windows 10+ can be set to auto-delete old files in the "Downloads" folder.
It is under Start Menu > Settings > search for "Storage Sense" > "Change how Storage Sense frees up space"
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Philip wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:47 am
Windows 10+ can be set to auto-delete old files in the "Downloads" folder.
It is under Start Menu > Settings > search for "Storage Sense" > "Change how Storage Sense frees up space"
Wow! I learn something new every day. It appears to be in Win 11 too. Very useful, thank you.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Philip, easto, thanks. When I work with this person again, I will look into setting that.