First time being "put under" tomorrow (it's not a big deal). A bit nervous.

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Faust

First time being "put under" tomorrow (it's not a big deal). A bit nervous.

Post by Faust »

Hello, all! Just thought I'd stop by for a sec. I do miss the days of yore, BTW. Spare time has become increasingly hard to come by. Immy's arse picture is still emblazoned in my mind.

Anyway, having a kidney stone laser blasted out tomorrow (so, not a life threatening deal). Will be out for the process. I've had many stitches and other things that only needed a local anesthetic before, so the idea of basically handing over the keys feels scary i suppose.

Not sure if I'm looking for experiences in general or only the positive ones. Probably the latter.

Is this like a basic thing where I'd be surprised to know that statistically speaking it's safer to undergo anesthesia than to drive a car? I mean, what if in the pre-op line of questioning they asked an important question but didn't phrase it in a way that could lead to more relevant detail?

I'm babbling. Cheers!
"Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hey Scott! Good to hear from you, bad for the reason...

It shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure that the doctor said to lay off of the soft drinks and drink more water, lots more water...

If I recall correctly, once you have 1, you become prone to get them again... ;)

I spent a lot of time in other countries and due to questionable water quality, I drank a lot of Cokes... First time I passed one, I wanted to cry!!!! I will never forget!!! My little man was hurting BAD!!!!! :cry: I was in a 3rd world hell hole hotel, at a very remote location trying to locate and get a birth certificate for my last wife...

The pain was excruciating!! There was a bucket, yes a metal bucket, in this high class ...er...hotel? :confused: , here... When it finally came out and hit the metal bucket, it sounded like a gun shot!! :eek: It was still hurting the next day, no way he was going to come to attention anytime soon!!!! :nope:

Your way will be much better and without pain! :cool:

Best wishes for success! Let us know how it went! And drink water! Yes, I know that fish pee in it, hell I do too, but drink it anyway!!!!!!
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Hey Scott...long time no hear.
Not long ago, couple of months ago I suppose, thought of you...came across a Discwasher.

I've been under a few times, don't worry about it, that hefty she-nurse with the mustache won't do too much to ya!

It'll go fine! Let the Docs do their work to make ya healthier!
When the give you the dose, just picture flying the Dauntless, approaching that bridge to fly under it in Battlefield '42! Before you emerge from the other side of the bridge...you'll be out!
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi guys! Yeah, anesthesia is very safe, actually 10 times safer than it used to be in the 1970s. The first and only time I've been under was about 5 years ago.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Faust, Hang in there and try not to worry too much. After it's all over you'll be wondering what the big deal was. BTW, I sympathize with the Kidney Stone issue. Had them before, once sent me to the ER but never needed surgery. And like said above... the doctor told me that once you've had 1 you're more prone to have another but fortunately it's been at least 15 years and I've never had another. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

For sure, let us know the outcome asap.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Drink moar beer?! :beer:
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Faust

Post by Faust »

Thanks for the well wishes and assurances, all!

Went and had the surgery. The procedure was one of those things where the idea of it was not as bad as the act. That being said, oh, the pain. I actually had bi-lateral stones, one in each kidney. One was 12mm and the other was a 9mm staghorn. The surgeon/urologist actually changed his original plan of 2 separate procedures (one for each side) and did them both in one go, which included putting stents in both ureters. The process of being knocked out wasn't like what I'd heard people tell of the anesthesiologist saying "OK, now count backwards from 100 to 0"... I was laying there staring at the ceiling while busywork went on around me and then suddenly I was awake again. It was like a switch being turned off and back on again immediately. No fade-out, no reboot. I was pretty groggy (they gave me dilaudid as well) but it was over as quick as it had begun. I was out for maybe 3 hours.

Lemme tell ya, though. Holy hell does the back pressure of peeing hurt like hell. The muscle that squeezes the bladder or twitches when you get the "I need to pee" impulse is gnarly pain. The day of the procedure (Friday) my pee wasn't light pink or fruit punch. It was solid, opaque red. The first few pees had clots in them (normal) which hurt like hell to pass. Not as bad as passing a stone, though, I'm sure. Now the urine is getting more and more transparent-red so that's a good sign.

I can't wait for the lab results to get back saying what the composition is so the doctor can tell me what I should stop doing. As Ken mentioned, sodas are a common culprit but for the past few years I've kinda gave up on those. Well, the sugary ones, anyways. I do drink the no sugar fizzy drinks.

I have a bottle of maybe 6 or 8 Norcos on the night stand in case it keeps me from sleeping. I hope each day yields less pain. And for anyone who has passed stones the old fashioned way, I take my hat off to you. Pain in that area is no joke.

Cheers and thanks again, guys!!

- Leo Szilard
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

My full anesthesia experience of being put under was very similar to yours, it was like a light switch being turned off/on without any warning.

Glad you made it out ok, wishing you speedy recovery. I'm sure the worst is behind you.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

I hope you recover soon Faust.. I remember you way back in the day here.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Heya, Shinobi. I remember you, too :)

Again, thanks, guys. In the back of my mind I can't help but feel like the cliche old person whose go-to topic of conversation is their weird health issues. Next I'll be sharing how my hemorrhoids are acting up or how that nurse at the clinic stole the used dental floss out of my purse.

- Leo Szilard
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Faust wrote:Again, thanks, guys. In the back of my mind I can't help but feel like the cliche old person whose go-to topic of conversation is their weird health issues. Next I'll be sharing how my hemorrhoids are acting up or how that nurse at the clinic stole the used dental floss out of my purse.
I'm in my late 60's and I ride bikes with a couple of old friends that are my same age and I have to tell you that bout 30% of our conversations are about healthcare, what is wrong with us or a procedure that is coming up.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It's too ironic, how some topics of conversation change with age... Yet other topics remain the same, we can't really escape our nature/mindsets, and many of our interests remain the same.
๑۩۞۩๑
Ken

Post by Ken »

Scott, you have no idea how lucky you are by having the full size stones broken up!!! :D

I'm glad that you are having a speedy recovery and being reminded of the season every time that you pee with it being red! :rotfl:

As for me and how I'm doing, I have taken a liking of saying, "Not bad, but it still burns when I pee"! :D The look on peoples faces is priceless!!! :D :rotfl:
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Ken wrote:As for me and how I'm doing, I have taken a liking of saying, "Not bad, but it still burns when I pee"! :D The look on peoples faces is priceless!!! :D :rotfl:
:rotfl: I'm still laughing. You got me with that one.