Silver dime day!

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Humboldt

Silver dime day!

Post by Humboldt »

I love silver for some reason. Always looking.

Silver dimes are most common, find one every 2-3 months.

Doing cash-out for the store yesterday.
Found 5 silver dimes in 1 roll, including a mercury dime. Last mercury I found was probably 6 years ago.

Second roll a few hours later, 1 mercury and 1 amazing uncirculated 1953.

Went to Safeway after work and got an 8th silver dime, 1964, out of the Coinstar machine.

Still can't believe it 36 hours later.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Nice!

I was watching some people on YT several years ago and they were going to banks and buying thousands of dollars of "silver" dollars with the hopes that some of the rolls would contain actual silver dollar and they would make a profit on them. There was not downside since they could just return the unwarted ones for face value.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

That's sounds cool... I never had much luck finding rare coins in circulation, but then again, I don't handle much cash.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Easto wrote:Nice!

I was watching some people on YT several years ago and they were going to banks and buying thousands of dollars of "silver" dollars with the hopes that some of the rolls would contain actual silver dollar and they would make a profit on them. There was not downside since they could just return the unwarted ones for face value.
I did that for a few years with half dollars. Lots of fun.

Would return them to a different bank chain for full credit, but still a pain.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Some tellers are awesome, but most seem bored/pissed with a friendly facade.

Trying being the guy who shows up with 100lbs of half dollars, $2,000, a few times per month.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Humboldt wrote:Some tellers are awesome, but most seem bored/pissed with a friendly facade.

Trying being the guy who shows up with 100lbs of half dollars, $2,000, a few times per month.
I just can see how that can irk them, a lot of heavy lifting work for them and their machines :rotfl: . I believe some banks have coin deposit limits/fees if you just dump a large quantity of any coins.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Ken

Post by Ken »

Years ago, when I went to bank, I would get rolls of various denominations. Go home and sort through them, take the unwanted rolls back to bank, get new rolls, repeat...
I found some decent stuff, typical circulated condition, however good to keep.
Back in the '90s, when they experimented with 'Webb' dollars, i would search all one's. I would tell servers that I would give them 100 dollars if they brought me x amount of webbs. Dammn, I dropped some cash and had quite a few excited servers... :D
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

4 more today!

These were all bank/coining facility sealed rolls.

Obviously there's quite a few floating around in town right now, just found 3 years worth of average finds in 2 day's looking.

Eyes are peeled. This is the best since when I got 7 rolls (customer wrapped) of nothing but silver quarters.

Paid $70 face value, would be worth $1304 today.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

The bank manager at my current bank is the territory manager, and worked for a different bank chain years ago where I was dumping a lot of them.

Great guy, has never blinked over the weight, and has given me the green light.

Just waiting for things to settle down for a while.
David
SG Elite

Post by David »

There has been a coin shortage, When this happens, the numismatically disinclined open the rolls of old coins. I have found wheat eared cents by the dozens.

I remember as a teen in the seventies getting halves from the banks, half of them being 90% or 40% silver. Making a nice profit when silver had its spike back in the Carter years.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche