Masks

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Humboldt

Masks

Post by Humboldt »

Hey guys, just wondering what you're wearing, if/when.

The GM at my store was great about ordering stuff in advance, have 3 different designs now but this is by far the best, even if I hate blaze orange.

Humboldt Co. CA just went mandatory yesterday, we've required them for in-store (pet supplies) customers for 2 weeks.

Bendy nose wire, adjustable sides, multiple layers, pocket for filters.
IMG_20200425_220845.jpg
IMG_20200425_220845.jpg
The spring loaded plastic cord clips are a game changer, got them off an old windbreaker.
Way more comfortable than the elastic ear loops, especially for 8-9 hours per day, and a f*ck of a lot easier/quicker to adjust than tying knots.

About 20 on the way for co-workers but about a 1 month delivery window.

And yes, Mad Doc, I fully realize it looks like something you'd strap on somewhere else.
Attachments
IMG_20200425_220839.jpg
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I had already ordered a construction mask for doing some heavy duty sanding of the boats bottom paint....so when I'm going into stores, I just wear it. Got it from RZMasks.com
Looks like this one but bright orange.
The attachment rz-mask-m2-5-xl-safety-green.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
rz-mask-m2-5-xl-safety-green.jpg
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hemm, nice color Humby, you are right it does look like something Mad Doc would wear, lol.

I have a paper surgical mask that I do not wear, but then again I work alone. I also have one of those breathable dust masks/neck gaiters for riding my motorcycle I could wear should I feel the urge, but I must admit I am not wearing it. I also have a 3M N95 dust mask or two in the garage I use for sanding. I rarely go into stores, wifey ordered groceries online, got 6 cases of beer and we are stocked to the brim.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:I had already ordered a construction mask for doing some heavy duty sanding of the boats bottom paint....so when I'm going into stores, I just wear it. Got it from RZMasks.com
Sanding the bottom? What kind of bottom paint are you using? Does the boat stay mostly in the water?
I am thinking of reapplying bottom paint to my trailer-sailer in the fall, but it has some ablative paint that I do not plan to sand much. It lives on a trailer most of the time, so I hear hard bottom paint would lose its effectiveness (eficacy? efficiency?) when exposed to air for long periods. I was thinking of TotalBoat Spartan (multi-season ablative, lots of copper content, good reviews). Others I have read good things about are Interlux Micron CSC (more expensive), Interlux Bottomkote NT (not multi-season), and Petit Horizons.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Humboldt wrote: And yes, Mad Doc, I fully realize it looks like something you'd strap on somewhere else.
Drool......
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Philip wrote:Sanding the bottom? What kind of bottom paint are you using? Does the boat stay mostly in the water?
Again... Drool......
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:I had already ordered a construction mask for doing some heavy duty sanding of the boats bottom paint....so when I'm going into stores, I just wear it. Got it from RZMasks.com
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1378[/ATTACH]
Is that one of the valved ones, or does it take a filter?

I've heard a few that click when the wearing is exhaling, that'd bug the hell out of me.

Also seeing a lot of hardware store dusk mask style that have one-way valves, which not only pop out and click with each exhalation but you can see skin through the valve when it does.

Seems to defeat the purpose in these strange times.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

MadDoctor wrote:Drool......
Do you have masks for the sheep?

Might help them from coughing on your back.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Philip wrote:Sanding the bottom? What kind of bottom paint are you using? Does the boat stay mostly in the water?
I am thinking of reapplying bottom paint to my trailer-sailer in the fall, but it has some ablative paint that I do not plan to sand much. It lives on a trailer most of the time, so I hear hard bottom paint would lose its effectiveness (eficacy? efficiency?) when exposed to air for long periods. I was thinking of TotalBoat Spartan (multi-season ablative, lots of copper content, good reviews). Others I have read good things about are Interlux Micron CSC (more expensive), Interlux Bottomkote NT (not multi-season), and Petit Horizons.
The prior owner did a horrible job of prep work for his bottom paint over the 8 or so years they owned it, looked like they hardly sanded, and he didn't understand how to maintain "barrier paint"...combined with the yearly or every two years..application of ablative.

If you've seen pics of our boat in prior years when she's up on the stands...the bottom had patches where gelcoat was exposed, and you could see many patch layers of barrier and ablative.
Barrier coat goes on in several coats...just on the gelcoat. Should last a good 10 years.
And ablative paint gets put on annually or every two years or so (depending on use)...on top of the barrier. Each season when hauling in the fall, a good power wash off...until you just see the barrier paint (you can tell the difference)..and slap on ablative in the spring again.

Yes some ablative can lose efficiency if exposed to the air. There are some meant for salt water only, and some for fresh water.

For "trailered boats"...you're not in the water all the time. Really don't need ablative. Many wouldn't even want barrier. But there are "hard" seasonal paints. Interlux is a good brand, also Petit....you got a few versions of Petit Hyrdo coat, and their "harder" paints ...which you might want to check out, like Trinidad. If you're trailering, you likely don't need (or want) the soft fast release ablatives.

We keep ours in a fresh water river...the Connecticut River. Many only paint "the smile" of the boat (around the water line, and front lower portion of the bow that shows)....and leave the bottom naked. Fast moving current (6-8 knots)....nothing grows much, just slow tea colored scum line. With a decent paint job can go 2-3 years without repainting. However if I kept it out in Fishers Island Sound...fresh water, would need fast ablative paint every year.

So to fix the prior owners horrible bottom paint maintenance, the bottom looks like an alligators back (ok..exaggeration..but..)...I wanted to have her sand-wet blasted..all the way down to the gelcoat, and I was going to do 4-6 coats of barrier and then a coast of semi hard Petit ablative. BUT..with the market crash, and real estate slow, we're living off of 1x income (me)..so that wasn't in the cards for this summers budget (a good 2500-3000 just to blast her...plus many gallons of very expensive paint). So I did a sand job and hand brushed barrier on the naked spots and put on a heavy coast of cheap ablative just for this season and we'll target the big overhaul next year.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Sorry for the thread hijack Humby. I don't think I've seen your current boat Brian, I know you had a Baja before. I just checked a couple of partial pics on FB, seems big :) From what I know, hard paints are the ones that lose effectiveness when exposed to air for long periods, ablative is better because top layer gets renewed, and the ease of reapplying. Mine lives on a trailer usually, but I am about to put her in a marina for a month at least. A friend of mine left his for 3 weeks in the water naked with only gel coat and you couldn't see the bottom from barnacles at the end of the month, looked scary.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Yeah, she's our home for about 1/2 of the week all summer...we tend to go to her Thursday, and stay til Sunday....come home Monday, repeat the process.
33' 1/2" LOA, pair of 350 engines.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm not really sure where to get masks. We've been using particle masks that I had from when I was sanding stuff. We also use bandana's. The only ones I see are the home made ones.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:Yeah, she's our home for about 1/2 of the week all summer...we tend to go to her Thursday, and stay til Sunday....come home Monday, repeat the process.
33' 1/2" LOA, pair of 350 engines.
Schweet! Works perfectly for "social distancing" too ;)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Easto wrote:I'm not really sure where to get masks. We've been using particle masks that I had from when I was sanding stuff. We also use bandana's. The only ones I see are the home made ones.
My thinking is any bandanna, neck gaiter, or a dust mask will provide some adequate protection from the bigger droplets/particles in the air. The virus itself is small enough to pass through even a N95 mask, however, it is usually carried by much larger droplets.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Last weekend when I went food shopping, I didn't feel like wearing my construction mask from RZMasks.com
So I grabbed one of the tee shirts I keep in the back seat, cut off an arm...and just wore that. Was much more comfy.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hopefully a clean tee (jk). This just reminded me of one of those SNL skits with "Mary Katherine Gallagher", lol.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Around the house, I'm using a T-back (dirrrty, of course), not really necessary as we self quarantine, however... I like it!!!!
I have a female source(s) so I can switch to a 'fresh' one daily! :p :D

When we leave, we wear black nitrile gloves (Venom Steel HD, I believe they are called, very thick, chemical resistant) and (3M) N95 masks. I had bought a bulk pack several years ago. I didn't want to donate them as the elastic bands must be treated carefully to not break due to age...

I also have a couple of P100's that I make the boys use if they are fogging for mosquitoes and such, reusable as you can replace the filters...
A worthwhile investment that you may consider, if they become available again. I'm glad that I had what I have...
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Ken wrote:Around the house, I'm using a T-back (dirrrty, of course), not really necessary as we self quarantine, however... I like it!!!!
I have a female source(s) so I can switch to a 'fresh' one daily! :p :D

When we leave, we wear black nitrile gloves (Venom Steel HD, I believe they are called, very thick, chemical resistant) and (3M) N95 masks. I had bought a bulk pack several years ago. I didn't want to donate them as the elastic bands must be treated carefully to not break due to age...

I also have a couple of P100's that I make the boys use if they are fogging for mosquitoes and such, reusable as you can replace the filters...
A worthwhile investment that you may consider, if they become available again. I'm glad that I had what I have...
Hey Ken :)

Glad you're well. Stay safe.

Curious, how do you and Mad Doc...you know, with the masks on?

Not talking about smooching.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Humboldt wrote:Hey Ken :) Curious, how do you and Mad Doc...you know, with the masks on?
Skin on skin baby.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Humboldt wrote:Hey guys, just wondering what you're wearing, if/when.

The GM at my store was great about ordering stuff in advance, have 3 different designs now but this is by far the best, even if I hate blaze orange.

Humboldt Co. CA just went mandatory yesterday, we've required them for in-store (pet supplies) customers for 2 weeks.

Bendy nose wire, adjustable sides, multiple layers, pocket for filters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1377[/ATTACH]

The spring loaded plastic cord clips are a game changer, got them off an old windbreaker.
Way more comfortable than the elastic ear loops, especially for 8-9 hours per day, and a f*ck of a lot easier/quicker to adjust than tying knots.

About 20 on the way for co-workers but about a 1 month delivery window.

And yes, Mad Doc, I fully realize it looks like something you'd strap on somewhere else.
I use N95 masks when I have to go out to the store. If I run out of them, I will just make my own out of bandannas and coffee filters lol.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

The attachment face mask - ears.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
face mask - ears.jpg
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Yep, I get new masks everyday. Only wear the N95s when at work though.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

How about now?

Been a couple months, wearing clean hand-made for 8+ hours workdays.

Don't like it but doesn't phase me anymore, employees and customers have been great.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I got a bunch of hand made cloth masks from Etsy...supporting local people. Avoiding buying those pre-made masks from china.

Got ones with nautical or tropical designs. Or...like one for my daughter, has a Nike swoosh with a Sloth on it and "Eventually do it" saying. (cuz she loves sloths)

I'm used to them. Sometimes even climb back in my truck and drive away..and a while later realize I still have my mask on my face (cuz I no longer really notice it). If it's not sunny out. If it's sunny out, I'll put my sunglasses on which will fog up with my next exhale...so yeah I'll then notice I still have my mask on and remove it.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I wear a cloth mask when entering enclosed crowded spaces. I've been trying to do that since this started. Most people weren't doing it until recently in my part of Florida. Since a month ago, new daily cases increased 10-fold, so most people seem to grasp the issue and wear masks inside now, also it has been mandated to wear them indoors in places where you can't social-distance.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
l1991

Post by l1991 »

We made a few masks on our own but tying them is really a little bit annoying. If it is very hot outside or I am on a long train ride I wear disposable masks.
nightowl
SG Elite

Post by nightowl »

At the begining of the pandemic, wife made some with her sewing machine and I printed one off using my 3d printer using filament thats injected with copper.

Mask: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4258282

Used car door sealer for seal around face: https://www.amazon.ca/Adhesive-Automoti ... 3978&psc=1

PLA:

https://store.afinia.com/Specialty-PLA- ... _p_73.html
Zilog B wrote:Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Second nature at this point.

Sucks but pretty common sense and all but normal at this point.

Then you got the maskholes:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/us/starb ... index.html

It's not about your politics people. Never has been, never will be.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Humboldt wrote:Second nature at this point.

Sucks but pretty common sense and all but normal at this point.

It's not about your politics people. Never has been, never will be.
Although the wife and I are at the point to where they're 2nd nature, we still keep 4-5 disposable masks in a baggie in each of the car's glove compartments in case we leave without ours.

The people who are trying to make this political are unbelievable. There is no common-sense reason not to wear one (while out in public) at this point in time. I get a kick when I see someone on the news saying it's their "Constitutional" right not to wear one.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Easto wrote:I get a kick when I see someone on the news saying it's their "Constitutional" right not to wear one.
*stirring the pot*
The attachment catch22.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
catch22.jpg
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

MadDoctor wrote:*stirring the pot*

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1396[/ATTACH]
I bet there's still people out there who cover themselves when they sneeze (remember when that used to be a thing, lol).
Paft
SG Elite

Post by Paft »

I wear a simple cloth hand made mask when I am at work or in public, don't the rest of the time. Just hoping for a quicker end to this than a long, dragged out one.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Easto wrote:
The people who are trying to make this political are unbelievable. There is no common-sense reason not to wear one (while out in public) at this point in time.
My feelings exactly.