unauthorized log on

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Russell

unauthorized log on

Post by Russell »

Just got this e-mail:

Dear Russell,

Someone has tried to log into your account on SpeedGuide.net Broadband Community with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 190.254.1.201

All the best,
SpeedGuide.net Broadband Community
Looking for work............
RaisinCain

Post by RaisinCain »

Have you changed your password yet?
Russell

Post by Russell »

Yep!!
Looking for work............
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I have set filters to automatically temp-ban IPs that try this kind of stunt at the firewall level. However, the warning from vBulletin fires away just after 5 attempts, and I can't set the firewall rule that low (it starts banning proxy/VPN shared IPs).

Just looked up that IP, and it only made 6 total requests to the web server (and 6 yesterday), all of them POST to the vBulletin login. To further complicate the issue, it seems there were very similar attempts from a couple of other IPs at the same time frame (botnet ?). The IPs are in totally different subnets (one in Colombia, another in China, etc.), and all of them made exactly 6 requests within a minute or so.

Thanks for letting me know though, I'm aware of the issue as there are tens of such attempts daily.
Sid
SG Elite

Post by Sid »

Hey guys, long time no see. I got one as well today Philip. I tossed the email the email and looks like its already gone and can't be retrieved. I'll change my password now.

Hope everyone is still well. Myself, I feel older and hurt more everyday, Its been a while since I fell off the SG grid, just around the time frame before Blebs passed. I hoping that the friends I made here are doing well, and for the ones don't know, I hope you're doing well too.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Sid wrote:Hey guys, long time no see. I got one as well today Philip. I tossed the email the email and looks like its already gone and can't be retrieved. I'll change my password now.

Hope everyone is still well. Myself, I feel older and hurt more everyday, Its been a while since I fell off the SG grid, just around the time frame before Blebs passed. I hoping that the friends I made here are doing well, and for the ones don't know, I hope you're doing well too.
Hey Sid :)

Hope you're doing well, good to see you again.
Sh*t happens, I hurt more and feel older every day as well. Main issue is both are advancing way too quickly. Not sure which concerns me more but have little/no control over either.

Anyway, take care and stop by more often.
minir

Post by minir »

Hi Sid

Nice to see your Smilin Face again. :)

I turned 74 in Dec. & let me say getting old isn't for sissies. :eek: I hurt in places i didn't know i had places :nod:

Nothing like a sunny day and a short skirted girl to make you forget your aches & pains & summers almost here. :)

--

larry
TonyT
SG VIP

Post by TonyT »

Most definitely a scripted login attempt. Note, ssh is open.

Code: Select all

tonyt@d830:~$ sudo nmap -v 190.254.1.201

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-03-26 17:37 EDT
Initiating Ping Scan at 17:37
Scanning 190.254.1.201 [4 ports]
Completed Ping Scan at 17:37, 0.15s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 17:37
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 17:37, 0.02s elapsed
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 17:37
Scanning 190.254.1.201 [1000 ports]
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 190.254.1.201
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 17:37, 8.98s elapsed (1000 total ports)
Nmap scan report for 190.254.1.201
Host is up (0.15s latency).
Not shown: 991 filtered ports
PORT     STATE  SERVICE
20/tcp   closed ftp-data
21/tcp   closed ftp
22/tcp   open   ssh
80/tcp   closed http
81/tcp   closed hosts2-ns
631/tcp  closed ipp
1935/tcp closed rtmp
3306/tcp closed mysql
9000/tcp closed cslistener

Read data files from: /usr/bin/../share/nmap
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 9.21 seconds
           Raw packets sent: 1998 (87.888KB) | Rcvd: 13 (516B)
No one has any right to force data on you
and command you to believe it or else.
If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH
nwrickert

Post by nwrickert »

Philip wrote:The IPs are in totally different subnets (one in Colombia, another in China, etc.), and all of them made exactly 6 requests within a minute or so.
This is common hacker behavior. They control a bunch of computers that they have taken over, and they use those to hide their true origin.
Sid
SG Elite

Post by Sid »

minir wrote:Hi Sid

Nice to see your Smilin Face again. :)

I turned 74 in Dec. & let me say getting old isn't for sissies. :eek: I hurt in places i didn't know i had places :nod:

Nothing like a sunny day and a short skirted girl to make you forget your aches & pains & summers almost here. :)

--

larry

The ole back pains are back, I can't hardly walk very long or stand very long. Now I've got some muscle issue in my feet. I sure wish I could retire.

Larry, glad to here from you, and I can't forget Humby and Tony.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Hello Sid. Still in Vegas?
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Sid wrote:The ole back pains are back, I can't hardly walk very long or stand very long. Now I've got some muscle issue in my feet. I sure wish I could retire.

Larry, glad to here from you, and I can't forget Humby and Tony.
Sorry to hear about the back Sid. Same here. Have you ever tried the topical patches?

They're script but work well. Not icy hot stuff.

Glad to get the brand/drug if you want. Hate using them, been a few years, but they've come in handy a few times.
minir

Post by minir »

Hi Sid & Humboldt

Sorry to hear of your back pains. A couple of things i use. Bobby Orr recommended the LivRelief Cream one day on a sports talk show & knowing what an honest guy he is i tried it and my Ma as well and boy it works for us. A little pricey but well worth it. Its non prescription as well.

LivRelief Nerve Pain Relief Cream

https://www.livrelief.com/en/component/ ... ain_relief

---

My old standby from the days of my grandmother who swore by it is Camphorated oil & an Aspirin. A good rub and take an Aspirin then lay down with a blanket over you and sleep for a bit and that usually does it for me.

You have to ask a pharmacist for it as they keep it behind the counter now as improper use can be poisonous they say. I've never had a problem myself and always have a small bottle at hand. It goes a long way and lasts for a very long time. Make sure you don't have any open skin nor rub near your eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after using.

---

Hope your both feeling better as back pain can sure take the fun out of life. :(

---

regards

Larry
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

minir wrote: Make sure you don't have any open skin nor rub near your eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after using.

regards

Larry
Just cause it makes me laugh...imagine a theoretical co-worker who allegedly tries a home-remedy of straight undiluted clove oil on his scabies (tiny genital STD crabs btw).

He said he screamed like a newborn and was almost in tears :D

He likened it to a blowtorch.

Trial and error sometimes, he hasn't done it twice.

Live and learn.
minir

Post by minir »

Humboldt wrote:Just cause it makes me laugh...imagine a theoretical co-worker who allegedly tries a home-remedy of straight undiluted clove oil on his scabies (tiny genital STD crabs btw).

He said he screamed like a newborn and was almost in tears :D

He likened it to a blowtorch.

Trial and error sometimes, he hasn't done it twice.

Live and learn.
---

Big OUCH!!! :cry:

---

Larry
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

minir wrote:---

Big OUCH!!! :cry:

---

Larry
Knowing him, it was probably a "little" ouch :D
Ronny
Advanced Member

Post by Ronny »

i also know about the aches and pains of getting older.since i now have rods in both lower legs and a plate in right thigh from getting both legs broke in multiple places last april i don't just ache i too hurt.