So, I sued this collections agency and won...

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Izzo
SG VIP

So, I sued this collections agency and won...

Post by Izzo »

I had an issue, silly me, with a creditor a while back that resulted in a collections item on my credit report. It was a matter of how things were being reported to my credit report...I refused to pay until they fixed it....they never did ...I refused to pay so they sued me in small claims court. I filed a counterclaim for violations of the FDCPA 807(8) and the FCRA 623(a) and I won a judgment against Messerli & Kramer and Midland Funding, LLC. I made a call to collect my monies on 1/16/08 and after 1 phone call to their agency and 2 to complain about the actions of the first I was sent a letter from one of the 'attorneys' claiming that I am conducting "a campaign of harrassment' and asked me to stop calling their office to collect. :D

You should see this letter they sent me :rotfl:

This feels like some stupid Visa commercial.....being sent a cease and desist letter from a collections agency for a debt THEY owe YOU = priceless :rockin:

At any rate.....don't take any crap from places like this if you ever have an issue similar...chances are they screw up and you can profit from it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!! :o

edit> I'm the collections manager for a credit union ;)
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

d'oh
Shagster
SG Elite

Post by Shagster »

Sew them for millions and build a folding farm.
triniwasp

Post by triniwasp »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Shagster wrote:Sew them for millions and build a folding farm.

I just went statutory on damages. I could have gone for bigger cash but like I said ...it wasn't about the money but now that this idiot sent me this letter I'll be bringing it to district court and hiring an attorney. I did all this on my own up to this point.
Comtrad

Post by Comtrad »

haha, now they see how it feels.
A_old

Post by A_old »

talk about irony
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Amro wrote:talk about irony
Being that I'm an individual collecting on my own debt I am not bound by the same collections laws they are. In spite of the letter from this douchebag I am still able to call and collect. I might even show up in person with my digi-cam and record my next attempt to collect. :D

I never even formally complained to any governing agency before this.....This week I'll be writing letters to the BBB, Minnesota Attorney General, Minnesota State Bar Association, Office of Professional Responsibility and the The Federal Trade Commission to begin my assault on these clowns.
Comtrad

Post by Comtrad »

How much do they owe you?
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Comtrad wrote:How much do they owe you?
My judgment was for $1,055.00.... a grand for damages and the 55 was the cost to file my counterclaim.
fastchevy
SG Elite

Post by fastchevy »

That is awesome Izzo!! :thumb:
Roody
SG VIP

Post by Roody »

:thumb:
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Burke wrote:Maybe you need a blog instead.
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

Messerli & Kramer are some dandy folks. The minnesota attorney general sued them in 2004 for unlawful practices.
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Kip Patterson wrote:Messerli & Kramer are some dandy folks. The minnesota attorney general sued them in 2004 for unlawful practices.
You should see 'the sheet' on Midland. They're even worse. Messerli's letter to me is pure gold. I don't have a scanner ...maybe i'll take a pic and post it for your reading pleasure.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Izzo wrote:You should see 'the sheet' on Midland. They're even worse. Messerli's letter to me is pure gold. I don't have a scanner ...maybe i'll take a pic and post it for your reading pleasure.
do it

I figured i should get A credit report done just so i could see what it looked like and they had me down as a hair dresser ... I think wtf? I wonder how many potential creditors saw that and thought wtf??

I should sue equifax

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box ;).
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Randy wrote:do it

I figured i should get A credit report done just so i could see what it looked like and they had me down as a hair dresser ... I think wtf? I wonder how many potential creditors saw that and thought wtf??

I should sue equifax
send 'em a letter....more than likely they'll ignore it and 30-45 days later...you're in business.
Randy

Post by Randy »

should i send it registered? or just reg mail?

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box ;).
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Randy wrote:should i send it registered? or just reg mail?
Regular mail.....although some will say certified but as long as you keep your records you'll be fine as sending it certified is not required......they have 30 days to respond.
downhill

Post by downhill »

Thumbs up, Izzo!!!

Talk about ironic and to think you've only called them twice. The bastards. lol
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

downhill wrote:Thumbs up, Izzo!!!

Talk about ironic and to think you've only called them twice. The bastards. lol
Heh, yeah one call on the 16th...I was hung up on by their 'tard collector so I called back to their main office to complain about their behavior and was referred to this idiot attorney *cough* Derrick Weber *cough*. I wrote 3 complaint notices today ....The FTC, Attorney General and LPRB. The LPRB is at least a month long investigation.
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

cybotron r_9

Post by cybotron r_9 »

Izzo wrote:I did all this on my own up to this point.
:thumb: :thumb: Good for you. :cool:
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

LPRB?

Is that the initials of someone Brent would date?
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Kip Patterson wrote:LPRB?

Is that the initials of someone Brent would date?
Minnesota has got a goofy name for the Office of Professional Responsibility. Although I filled out the complaint it appears it's just a bunch of lawyers monitoring other lawyers...I expect more from the FTC/ Attorney General.

edit> I left the letter in my office today...will post it tomorrow.
Zilog B

Post by Zilog B »

Reminds me of the time a collection agency contacted me about an insurance bill. So I called the insurance company, and explained the situation, and it turned out that when all was said and done they owed me money.

Then I sent the collection agency a letter telling them thanks, and if they can find anybody else that owes me money to please let me know so we could continue our profitable relationship.
My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee